Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Classic 9 self-install leather for 40cm wheel

I pulled a quote from the thread linked above:

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    Standard leather wrapped wheels start with a tubular steel frame (not a flat frame like a MOMO). Then the rubber core molded over that. Then leather wrap. Nothing between the leather and the rubber.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

I was thinking like suggested in the link above that if you put leather directly on the plastic it would eventually start to twist and reposition itself.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

If you put it on the smooth surface of a normal plastic rimmed wheel, I'd be a touch concerned. But the surface of a factory leather covered wheel is not smooth, it has some "grip" to it. And the leather is a very snug fit. I don't think slippage will be an issue, but will watch for it as time goes on.

And now that I think about it, I don't know if a thin pad under would really help prevent slippage later. What would you use that has some grip to the side against the rim?
    Last edited by Arne; 03-27-2022 at 09:08 PM.
    - Arne

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

For what its worth I purchased this wheel recently here

Trying to peek under the open stitching there is something there besides the ebonite wheel. Can't see enough to tell what it is. Can't even tell if there is ebonite under whatever I can see. Also have a '67 wheel with most of the stitches loose. On that one there is clearly some type of rubber underneath. I can't tell if the whole wheel is just hard rubber or it is ebonite with a rubber coating of some type. My guess is its a hard rubber casting because I can flex it a little. Cannot say they are the same. As Eric Linden pointed out he has the same wheel I recently purchased. Does not have the usual markings. Maybe another supplier to VDM? Therefore I cannot verify the accuracy of what is under the leather. However, in the case of the '67 it is clearly a factory original. Hope this helps more than confuses.Name:  P1070571.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  178.6 KB
    Last edited by doigthom; 05-22-2020 at 11:13 AM.

We really need to homogenize terms we are using so that we understand each other.

Instead of the use of "plastic" which is kind of correct, we should probably use "Ebonite" for the non leather wrapped wheels be it 420, 400 or 380mm. With the exception of the "sport" 380 wheels, the leather wrapped wheels have a rubber core. Not to be confused with Ebonite, it is more dense than the rubber foam used on a MOMO for instance. That rubber core has the finger grip profiles like the Ebonite wheels. It does have some "give" but, I think it being formed around a tubular frame and of a denser rubber can give the impression of "plastic". It also provides more grip than the Ebonite which I suspect is why there's no additional layer of material.

Especially in heat aged/damaged wheels, the rubber dries and becomes harder just like a tire will. Again, giving the impression of hard "plastic".

The late 73 Faux Leather wheels are completely foam formed. I always thought that they would provide a great base to apply a single leather wrap which would create a "sport grip" 400 wheel.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Name:  20200522_134529.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  76.4 KBHere is my 380mm wheel after I removed the leather from it today. It is made of a rubber like, molded material which is quite "tacky" and compliant in feel. The wheel has finger impressions molded on the front side. The leather was quite adherent to the wheel at the point where the spokes meet the wheel. It required more persuasion than I would have expected it to to remove it, even where the stitching had let go.
    The leather was applied directly to this molded substrate with no other material between other than glue where it met the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by friendlyfred View Post
    Here is my 380mm wheel after I removed the leather from it today. It is made of a rubber like, molded material which is quite "tacky" and compliant in feel. The wheel has finger impressions molded on the front side. The leather was quite adherent to the wheel at the point where the spokes meet the wheel. It required more persuasion than I would have expected it to to remove it, even where the stitching had let go.
    The leather was applied directly to this molded substrate with no other material between other than glue where it met the spokes.
    That is exactly what I remember of mine. Thanks for posting this!
    - Arne

Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    If you put it on the smooth surface of a normal plastic rimmed wheel, I'd be a touch concerned. But the surface of a factory leather covered well is not smooth, it has some "grip" to it. And the leather is a very snug fit. I don't think slippage will be an issue, but will watch for it as time goes on.
    One year (or so) in, several thousand miles. No slippage of the leather on the plastic so far...
    - Arne