Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Service offering: car painting, part or whole, i can paint your early 911

Service offering: car painting, part or whole, i can paint your early 911

I am gonna try something,
    the idea just came to me today.
    my company dropped 75% in sales...and my boss laid me off, because I made the most $.

So, maybe I can take on someone's car who has been waiting.
    (i have a few restorer friends, who i visit often, just to be a part of it...and i was always envious (well kinda)

I am a trained ArtCenter designer, that got straight A's for my models...which I only know of one other that achieved that.
    i have done pro design work for Porsche, mercedes, VW, jaguar, yamaha, polaris, and some others.
    i have painted about 13 cars....and I kinda hate it. but kinda like it. i use a german Sata, paint gun. I can get glasurit, but it is 2 hours away and very $$.
    but I can get dupont, two types. from a place i have been visiting for 10 yrs....I have just about every color paint sample, so we can get that right.
    I study colors and surfaces for a living.
    and I am gap crazy, and love good art...so every detail is super important.

I don't like clear coats and metallics. at all.
    and I would only paint a 356, longhood 911 and a 914.

but if you need your car painted, including bodywork and welding. or any other thing done, just ask. maybe we could work something out.
    i can also do a bunch of other stuff, but not change tires. but just about everything else including electrical.(i do this all day long)

i am near santa cruz, calif.

this is a car i just finished
    Name:  olive.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  126.6 KB

Name:  olive2.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  109.5 KB

Name:  oliv3.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  104.6 KB

Name:  fend.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  67.4 KB

Name:  fronmt.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  87.4 KB

this image below could be confusing.
    it is a photo of my car door....almost the entire image is all all door, it is reflection of my garage roof and back wall....straight out of my magic Sata.
    you can decide if it is smooth and shiny.
    Name:  roof.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  48.0 KB
    Last edited by Scott A; 04-25-2020 at 05:21 PM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Hello Scott
    You posted this after I emailed you. I need your email address and phone nuimber PLEASE. Thanks George

george, i dont remember when I saw your email, it was all about the same time, I wrote you back twice. you can call till 10pm, happy to see what you need. scott

I've been preparing my 911 S-T build for 6 months and I'm finally getting close to primer.

You'll be back to work soon I would think as this virus is winding down.

Your car looks great, hope you're back to work soon.
    Matthew J. Mariani BSID, Member 32689
    Haverford Pennsylvania

Hi Scott, very sorry to hear about your job. I’ll shoot you a note to chat about painting my car. I’m North of you on the Peninsula.
    Member #3857
    '70 911 2.7

some have been asking about the lights

they are cibie pallas, 50 yrs old.
    i love them, used on rallye and LeMans 24 cars... and tour de france
    sometimes on hoods, sometimes to the side, sometimes both. sometimes, 6 of them.
    i have the yellow covers too. but dont use them much, they also have marshal and marshal covers.

i am putting bright, off white, (4000kelvin) (not blue) LEDs in mine....so i dont have to add to alternator and add a relay.

they are not hard to find. but are costly.
    i used a 10 pound magnet, from ace hardware, inside to position the light, so it didnt touch the hood, and can still get off the H1s...which is easy.
    then i could use the light as a template and draw the three holes...
    i loved drilling the holes...not scary, i was excited to get the lights on the car. the fenders waited 50 years for something new to them.

I also did the lights, because I didnt just want to look at old photos....i wanted to learn all i could about the lights. mounting the pieces...etc etc.

there are a few places to get parts, some in france, but the parts are limited.....and unique, so if you get a used set make sure it has all the parts.

the black base plate goes underneath the car. you can reach it when the horn grill is removed. tight but doable.
    there are two holes in the battery box, with plugs..that you didnt know about...you can run wires thru there.
    I decided no to go onto the hood, I didnt want my hood too heavy to stay open, and didnt want it leaking in the trunk.

the lights themselves have interior adjustment...but that is another post. for all that.

I don't notice any difference in the headlight beam or blockage.
    But I can easily see if the headlight is working. Which I like.
    I'm a daytime headlight driver. For 40% more safety.

Name:  lights3.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  138.5 KB

Name:  ball2.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:  tour 71 2.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  92.4 KB

Name:  rs.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  177.7 KB

Name:  lights.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  72.1 KB

Name:  tour 71.jpg
Views: 717
Size:  92.6 KB
    Last edited by Scott A; 04-28-2020 at 12:01 PM.

Scott
    Great info.....much appreciated!
    Love the photo history
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

great work Scott… very few have your talent.... love the comment ....and I kinda hate it. but kinda like it... amen brother..... I just finished a complete construction of a 1968 911 L Targa. and currently going over all the typical places for fit and finish/ lead work etc.... so basically in preliminary primmer stage. I wish I was rich enough to hire you (that's why I do all my own work)... while I'm wishing, a few blocking and sanding sessions would go a long way.... maybe you can change your handle to, Paladin, HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL... best of luck bob

Scott:

Being very literal. Where would you do the work? I have some minor work I would like done on my silver ‘72. You can PM me.

Peter
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Hi Scott,

Live in Palo Alto.... so close. I've been building a '67 912 for quite a while, (years), and nearly done... However, got a number of nicks and scrapes on the Polo Red paint,(PPG) over the years that need sorting. Is this something you could do?

Thanks for your response!

-Chuck