Thread: 911 2.2 T Karmann front trunk color (again!)

911 2.2 T Karmann front trunk color (again!)

Sorry, I know the topic it has been discussed few times already, but there’s any further addition or new detail to the fact that an early 911 2.2 T Karmann built in Sept. ‘69 it should have the front compartment painted in matt black over the original body color, and the front & rear bonnet hinges should be black as well?
    Many thanks in advance.
    mbracing61

As there are no replies I do suppose what I asked is confirmed and there are no further news too.
    Another question: there is a precise date (or chassis number) from when Karmann stopped painting the front trunk in black?
    Many thanks in advance,
    Regards.
    mbracing61

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Do you have reason to believe that at some point Karmann stopped painting the trunk black?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

My Karmann built 10/69 2.2T was body colour under the front trunk. Barn find car.

So here we go again,,,,another myth busted,,,,Karmanns were body color, at least one,,,,must be others.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Do you have reason to believe that at some point Karmann stopped painting the trunk black?
    The reason are the contrasting info, as evidenced also here, about this topic. It seems there is not a definitive answer about this. As the owner of a very early built ‘71 Karmann Coupe (built in Sept.70) that it has been repainted I was looking to understand how it originally was.
    mbracing61

Mine also had a 69 only speaker dash fitted. Go figure. Next week when i'm home i will post pictures of when i stripped my car. Then the judging can begin. Once we see the tar on the struts etc, i might convince the experts...!