Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MFI Fuel filter leak

MFI Fuel filter leak

I have a small leak at the gasket on my 73 fuel filter. Filter has been on there 5 yrs/5000 miles. Looked in my parts book and don't see a separate part # for just the o-ring. Sent Pelican an email asking them if they sell the o-ring separately. I think the last time I changed the filter I used a wrench I have for an oil filter, but it's not that easy to get in there.

My questions are:

1.Does anyone know if the o-ring can be purchased separately. I'm guessing with the correct spec it's available.
    2.Do you guys use a strap wrench on the filter? Can you point me in the direction of which one, I see many out there, but maybe someone has found the perfect one.

Thanks , as always, for the amazing knowledge resource.
    73 911S Targa

Never tried to buy the seal. Might try McMaster -Carr. As to the wrench I just use a 22 mm box end on the hex at the filter bottom.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Lightbulb

Funny you mention that 22mm wrench Ed....

I was out on a drive and noticed when I stopped and noticed that the bottom fitting on the fuel filter canister was leaking... Cool guy that I am, I took out my tools and figured I'd tighten in the car and without taking off the bottom hose... I brought out my 22 for the canister and (I think) a 17 open end wrenches for the bottom fitting...hold the canister/tighten the fitting... easy peasy.. just to give it a little 'snug-up' right there in the engine bay... AND... to my surprise, my 22mm end wrench was too damn thick to hold the canister while trying to tighten the fitting with the 17 … the two wrenches couldn't work together...too tall to engage the flats on both pieces...

I realized that every time I had to deal with that bottom fitting it was still on the canister out of the car... No problem, canister in the vice, wrench on the fitting....

I eventually got it tightened at a shop that had a Snap-On super thin 22mm....

When I got home I found the crappiest 22mm end wrench I had in my box and took a body grinder to the end of it until it was less then a 1/4" thick … That wrench now stays in the car...….

… and so it goes
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 04-28-2020 at 07:12 PM.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks - it occurred to me in the middle of the night that there was a hex head on the bottom of the filter!
    73 911S Targa

I recently bought some O-rings from The O Ring Store for my electric fuel pump. They have every size and material imaginable. They have a minimum of one dollar per O-Ring size plus $6.99 shipping. The O-Rings themselves are quite cheap. Anytime I remove an O ring from an old filter I keep it just for scenarios like yours.
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

Quote Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
    I recently bought some O-rings from The O Ring Store for my electric fuel pump. They have every size and material imaginable. They have a minimum of one dollar per O-Ring size plus $6.99 shipping. The O-Rings themselves are quite cheap. Anytime I remove an O ring from an old filter I keep it just for scenarios like yours.
    Thanks for the tip -
    73 911S Targa

Speaking of MFI filter leaks, the fuel hose circled in yellow popped off the hard line and when I tightened that one, the lines circled in red started leaking too. I gave them a few turns and the leaking stopped. It seems odd that this all happened at once. Is it possible that the filter has gotten clogged or do I just need to stay on top of making sure those clamps stay tight? The fuel filter is about 2 years old.

If I buy a new filter, will any OEM filter do or should I get that at the dealer?

Anyone have a bulk set of hose that they want to part with so I don't have a mixture of braided and non-braided lines?

Thanks,
    Neil
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Not many options for the filter , I think one manufacturer , a small market . So Pelican , the dealer or a direct importer if you have an account .

If you're using 5/16" I.D. S.A.E. size hose it will be harder to clamp them tight enough on the metric size barbs.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar
    You might not actually need a new o-ring. Funny, while we are all pretty good about oiling the o-ring on our new oil filters, most guys I ask never seem to think of doing the same thing on their MFI fuel filters, which rely on pretty much the same kind of seal. I don't use engine oil, but I do put a little dab of Vaseline or a hi-vac grease on the o-ring on an MFI fuel filter before I install it. Seems to make it seat better, where a dry rubber o-ring might be a little "grabby" while it's seating, maybe causing uneven seating, and leading to leaks. Maybe try lubing the o-ring and see if it seats better.
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."