Thread: windshield washer issues

windshield washer issues

I have 2 x 73 911 cars that I am trying to get the washer bottle/pump/lines to work properly.

I have a 72T untouched from new (I think) that I am using as a template to copy

I purchased new air bleed T pieces from Sierra, looked to see if they were one way flow but nothing indicated they were so installed.

Pumps work but no water gets up to the jets (jets may be blocked but no water getting there so can't tell) no matter how long I pull the wiper lever in.

Not being a technical person at all I am seeking help

I looked at one of the air bleed T valves and to me it does not look right as you can see in the pics a thin pin barely fits up the tiny hole in the centre
    whereas there is full flow on the horizontal.

Am I correct that the T valve is faulty??
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

and has anyone got a pic of their tank, pump and associated lines with T valve so I can 100% be sure I have it right for 73 car

I have found some posts on here from 2009 where the lines seem to be routed differently to my 72 car
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Clyde, I think the T should be just a simple flow divider, not a valve nor an air bleed. You may have washer check valves that can fail or washer jets that can also be plugged.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Have you tried installing the 'tee' fitting so that the restricted leg is for the by-pass hose that goes back into the washer bottle?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Hooked mine up for the first time a few weeks ago. While the location of the various parts and routing of the hoses can vary depending on year and equipment (especially factory A/C cars), the actual parts and how they hook up was all the same.

Note that there were 2 T-fittings (#7 & 8), and they are not the same. #7 is a full-flow in all 3 legs, but #8 is restricted on one leg. As Ed noted above, the restricted leg is a return to the reservoir, as a safety bypass to save the pump if the nozzles are both totally blocked.

For reference, #7 is 901.628.745.20 and #8 is 901.628.749.20.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 12.36.21 PM.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  65.5 KB
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Clyde, I think the T should be just a simple flow divider, not a valve nor an air bleed. You may have washer check valves that can fail or washer jets that can also be plugged.
    T is DEFINATELY an air bleed I have discovered even says so on the part descriptor part #8 in Arnes picture.
    Last edited by BOYER73S; 05-10-2020 at 02:28 PM.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Have you tried installing the 'tee' fitting so that the restricted leg is for the by-pass hose that goes back into the washer bottle?
    Well Ed I think I have it that way but will double check again today.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Problem solved, quite simple actually almost embarrased to tell the story.

I was using a new bottle and it was as simple as the suction tube being attached to the wrong side
    in the bottle, I was trying to follow the diagram but never thought to look inside the bottle��

All works perfectly now.

Thanks for your responses.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

… it was as simple as the suction tube being attached to the wrong side
    in the bottle, I was trying to follow the diagram but never thought to look inside the bottle...
    You're not alone Clyde, I have done the very same thing ....

Cheers and a cleaner windshield,
    cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter