Thread: SWB carpet, what’s right?

SWB carpet, what’s right?

Hoping some of the experts here might be able to help me.

When I got my car sadly all the original carpet was gutted. Two years back I bought a carpet kit from Tony @ Autobahn, based on the numerous recommendations here. As I am getting close to installing it I pulled it out some days back. Comparing it to the original carpets taken out of a friends '67 normal coupe it is decidedly different. While the '67 carpet is more like a felt the carpet set from Tony is much thicker and had a different backing and fibers "standing up".

This might be a dumb question but is there a difference between early and later SWB carpet? My car is a December '65 but still has the Solexes but no centre lube cams.

Below a picture, top the new carpet set, bottom a piece from my friends car

TIA

JK
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Joris the Autobahn carpet looks right. But my oldest 900 is a 67S. I did though recently recarpet my 73 and got a sample swatch from Tony that was spot on so I ordered. What came was slightly darker but still acceptable to me. He said they are at the mercy of dyelots and all their carpet colors can vary slightly.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Thanks Steve, the two pieces are very very different. One is more like a felt while the other (Autobahn) is more like a real carpet.

Yep....the velour carpet is correct for your car. The bottom part of the photo looks like my '67

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

If you are saying your car is a 1965 then I would have thought it would be Haargan Boucle, aka squareweave?

Quote Originally Posted by 9er View Post
    If you are saying your car is a 1965 then I would have thought it would be Haargan Boucle, aka squareweave?]
    as listed in the W194 from 12/64 VK-FÖ _ verkaufs förderung - aka sales push -
    only the 912 had the bouclé onboard, not the 911... standard for the 911 had been the above mentioned velours aka saltˋn pepper.
    The bouclé had been used early on in the trunk on both types.

also I do ask myself from when on this light gray perlon, or „filz“ had been in the car....
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

65 911’s had velour wool carpet. In my opinion, what’s offered is correct for later lwb cars but the color is not correct for 65-66. I’ve looked all over the place and can’t find the correct match, I’d rather use wool square weave in charcoal. Photos shown in post 17 of this thread:

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ghlight=carpet
    Last edited by John912; 05-14-2020 at 04:23 AM.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

All, thanks for all the help. It looks like what I have is "correct" but still differs somewhat in terms of tint to the stuff used when our cars were new. Sounds very much like the challenges we have with some of the 356 carpet where some of the colors are also off compared to the originals. Thanks!