Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1973 RS engine question

1973 RS engine question

The Model Changes section of the 2015 edition of the Gruber/Konradhieim Carrera RS book states: “May 73 Crankcase of silumin instead of magnesium” (page 212).

Does anyone have a record of the last chassis/engine serial number that would have had a magnesium crankcase? Did all subsequent RS’s have aluminum crankcases?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I think the ALU crankcase was just for homologation, I don’t think they stoped using the Mag case. I can’t remember the car # that got it, but it is a “0” conversion in the build section of the book, there are just a few “0”’s in 3rd series. BTW, the picture of the case with the fins on the bottom has to be a 3.0L from 74 because the 2.7 ALU case looks exactly like a Mag case on the bottom, I know because I built one. G. PS the car was light Ivory so maybe 1382 or 1387
    Last edited by gled49; 05-16-2020 at 03:26 PM.

I have 1382 on record as having the 2.7 ALU case.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    I have 1382 on record as having the 2.7 ALU case.
    Interestingly, 1387 has a Mag case.

I think Mike (210bhp) was building a list as best he could piece it together among this later cars but not sure how far he got.

S

Yes, if Mike responds, then we should have very good info. I believe his car has the ALU case as well.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Yep think that’s why mike was digging. Rather niche question for first post but nice to see a new poster

S

My understanding is that the Silumin case RS’s were not sequential in the final run of cars but interspersed with magnesium between about #1382 and the last chassis built in a random manner. Hearsay says about 20 or so of the last 4-500 RS’s built had a silumin case. It has been notoriously difficult to plot those chassis numbers with a silumin case as the underside of the engine is often missed out as a picture in a for sale advert and when I ask often I don’t get a reply. I have only three definite numbers and one is my own #1551.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Gled

My case does not look the same on the bottom as a mag case.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681

Here is one of my first threads when I joined the early s reg.

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...hlight=Silumin

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    Early S reg. #681