Thread: ready for paint

ready for paint

Hi all,

I bought a 1970 E targa 2 years ago at BHCC. I spend some time ( almost 2 years ) getting the car mechanically sound as it should have been ;-)
    Anyway, someone painted it metallic green, and originally it was irish green. The interior was beige and was painted black 🙄.

The interior is now beige agian, I removed all the black paint, that has cost me a lot of sweat and tears :-) And now I'm ready to go for the painting job.
    The inside of the car ( engine bay and hood ) is still like it left the factory and I want to keep it like that. So I will nee to remove the thick paint layer and repaint the outside back to irish green. Now is my question.

What to do with the original stickers and badges ? they are stuck to the chassis with glue or rivited ? The paint code sign in the door is gone so I need to buy a new one but the rest of the stickers and badges are still there.

Any tips ?

All the best,

Jeroen

Name:  8457_p33_l.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  69.2 KB

Name:  8457_p44_l.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  91.0 KB

Nice car. Can't believe you gave your money to BHCC, but it has come out nice to look at anyways.

Stickers and badges are virtually impossible to remove without destroying. The Federal VIN decal on the driver's side door jamb will shred, as it is designed to do so with it's anti tamper perforations. Best thing is to document them carefully and then try to find the closest reproductions you can. There are 2 good places for the door jamb VIN decal. And many options (all lacking in at least one small detail or another unfortunately-depending how picky you are). You an drill out the front VIN plate in your second picture and rivet it back in afterwards, along with the paint tag. Paint tags are available I think. Make sure to get a stamped one, not an engraved one.

Other option is to very carefully mask what you have. But that always looks sloppy to me. It says to me, "If the owner took that shortcut, who knows what else they did"?
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Thank you for the reply.

Well, I wanted a hard non rusty targa as a project for part restoration, not a total nut bolt, restoration, that's not my cup of tea ;-)
    The car had some history, and they painted it very very very sloppy. including rubbers and even de tires had overspray.
    The interior was the best. when I removed it you could see the original beige on the non visible edges. They just sprayed it black as it was, in the car, without taking it out.

They said it was mechanically sound, well let's just say that it now it is, after a 15k investment :-)

Best,

Jeroen

Is car-bone one of them ?

That is one place to get them and a popular choice. I'm pretty sure they will do the perforated VIN sticker on the drivers side post (I have a 69 so no VIN sticker). I ended up getting all of my decals from a number of places including Aaese, Canford Classics, and Car-bone.
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757