Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1973 RS help

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    By 1364 though i doubt it has the lightweight steel shell or the lightweight glass, or early tail. So it’s an S with a bigger motor.

So it needs to be discounted accordingly. Even then many of us want a pay a premium for Series 1. Or earlier series 2.

I’d check it out. If not lightweight steel then I’d personally pass.
    How would you check its lwt steel,and which panels to see its not a S! thanks.

They are all 911744 all real RS

To me although I’m no film buff it is a bit like the Godfather film trilogy when Francis Ford Coppola just did it for the money on Godfather III. Or maybe seeing a West End /Broadway special show, but in its extended continuation run after the third cast change.

All are the real thing be it Godfather or Carrera RS or Stage Show of course and great experience but somehow that original “essence” of what made them special is not quite still there by III.

Some won’t agree.. some won’t care (and some won’t wish to know about nuances provided it says Carrera RS). But to others the role of the original engineering and race led project highly focussed to create the limited edition homologation special to certify the 911 with FIA and reposition 911 at the heart of the factory racing programme (and all what followed from the 500 plus 500 more specific certified examples that did that job) is a core part of the appeal ... rather like the original 1972 Godfather (honourably upheld by Godfather II) ....but not so well by III despite Al Pacino providing continuity throughout ( like a 2.7 motor) Maybe III brought closure to the story but..hmm..

Not defined just in the thin panel or glass or other constituent parts per se although not bothering source more thin panels for the 911744 are among the “footprints in the sand“ to follow when seeing the very essence of 911744 programme had changed. To me by the ( commercially understandable) policy of third series being made in one step on line —normal way normal parts — the model was not quite the same as when homologation was the total purpose - even if a couple later examples’ vin was referenced FIA papers for some changes.

It isn’t that they just ran out of panels it’s that they they consciously changed the approach but still carried in using the name following the (unexpected) success — I wouldn’t say S personally but maybe could be said milking the limited edition homologation special story and unexpected sales success with productionized examples.

Each their own and no argument the 911744 of 73 is a notable model and individual cars all vary after nearly 50 years with superb “series III” examples around, histories are different and so forth.

If offered the choice of watching classic movie Godfather/Godfather II vs Godfather III ... isince Coppola couldn't be ar$ed with being all over those important details that made the early efforts so special but they made III anyway...well ...‘nuff said on that analogy...

To me the series III misses essence ... what might be thought of as ...“Ur RS” ... not in the driving experience but in just knowing it wasn’t their full on best effort on the 911744 by that stage. Didn’t Porsche once state:
    Name:  137C8606-410E-4FDC-A7AA-7354056CCBD4.jpeg
Views: 522
Size:  30.5 KB

Steve

PS

In the “Carrera RS kundendienst-information” document issued internally by factory to its dealer service network they clearly differentiate between the first 1000 and those beyond that homologation derived figure:

Name:  2BD644EB-5AA6-4861-81D0-3BC96125B4F5.jpeg
Views: 563
Size:  37.1 KB

Note Porsche own use of the terms RS Coupe vs SC coupe which is an interesting distinction and presumably no accident given homologation the figure was 1000 in a document for circulation beyond the factory walls — probably one to every official dealer with service facility. The existence of two things not just RS coupe gives a glimpse into the factory’s thinking of how it segmented things at the time when the model was new (rather than what we think today). Something the classic car market hasn’t (yet? deliberately?) cottoned on to. The current market seems intent on segmenting only on M471 vs 472 proportions made —essentially when looked at m471 vs m472 are “bolt in trim ”differences. Curiously rarely any heed paid to the known and notable change in core chassis construction changes for III affecting (not just wings or door skins) but those dozen panels welded in various places throughout the whole early homologated chassis and other special homologation elements they discarded from the III spec to save time and money. Go figure.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 05-23-2020 at 12:38 PM.

I completely agree with your points above. And I am astounded there seems to be so much emphasis on m471 versus m472 as you correctly state “bolt on trim differences.” I would agree there were radical differences between an RSR and an RS, but between 471/472 is only how much creature comforts you wanted in your road car, not the difference between the road car and the race car. THe big jump is from the S to the RS and then from the RS to the RSR. I would say that a move from a 911T to the 911E is bigger than a 471/472 difference, and the move from the 911E to the 911S maybe the same (if not bigger).

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow491 View Post
    How would you check its lwt steel,and which panels to see its not a S! thanks.
    Start with the bonnet, it is really noticable if your press on it carefully, very carefully.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S View Post
    Start with the bonnet, it is really noticable if your press on it carefully, very carefully.
    The bonnet,roof and door skins are easy to check,but the more difficult panels not so easy.

I realize that not that many RS buyers do this, but if you really want to understand what you might spend so much money on buy a copy of the Carrera RS book.
    That, and realize that in some other countries they don't concern themselves like in the US about a genuine chassis. There are RS cars out there that Americans would consider fake. Most of these were well done and it could require an extreme expert to verify this. Even if this doesn't matter to you this should affect the value vastly more than what series and configuraton the build was from the factory.

Good- careful- hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    All the casting marks elsewhere line up too. Easier to see if you rotate one of them. Same engine in the two photos.

Attachment 523793
    Wonder why you can't see the type number stamped on the case?

This car has been all over the place. Depending on your budget look for a much more original condition RS would be my advice, preferably a first or second series as others have mentioned. You'll end up with something really special then. Good hunting!
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Quote Originally Posted by fryardds View Post
    Wonder why you can't see the type number stamped on the case?

This car has been all over the place. Depending on your budget look for a much more original condition RS would be my advice, preferably a first or second series as others have mentioned. You'll end up with something really special then. Good hunting!
    I think he found a nice series 1.

Series 1 is obviously the best choice, if you can afford the premium.

Still needs a careful look-over as I examined a Series 1 several years ago and found at least 1/2 the original 'thin' steel had been replaced with newer standard-weight stampings. Proceed with caution.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    Series 1 is obviously the best choice, if you can afford the premium.

Still needs a careful look-over as I examined a Series 1 several years ago and found at least 1/2 the original 'thin' steel had been replaced with newer standard-weight stampings. Proceed with caution.
    Definitely agree.

I'll let him speak to it if/when he chooses, but I put him in touch with a leading RS expert so he was in good hands.