Thread: 1968 912 to 911???

1968 912 to 911???

Hello. I picked up this clean 1968 912 body. Going to do something with it. Before I get into starting an official build thread I just have a couple questions and any advice is more than welcomed. Anyways I’ll get to it.

1. I’m transplanting a 3.0 into it with 901 5spd. Motor mounts have been upgraded for this. Can I keep my existing wire harness? Are there any mods in will need to make on the harness to make this work?

2. I’ve got pretty clean rear fenders. One looks to have been completely replaced. I want to go a little wider and I have these fiber front fenders with matching bumper. But I have no clue where I can find the matching rear weld on flares and bumper.
    But im thinking it might better to just stay with the original narrow body and just go for something a little more hotrod rather than 911r.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MokkHsRvGrk3xDg36

Name:  87A12111-B958-4B62-97C7-7DE145345B07.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  111.3 KB
    Last edited by 72targa; 05-18-2020 at 06:15 PM.

You will need to make many mods to make it work . I assume you will be using the 3.0 liter CIS injection , the stock ignition and stock alternator , many mods .

You can keep the vast majority of your harness ( Just remember it's 50+ years old and needs to be thoroughly inspected) but will need to supply power to the engine management system you chose. Be it the original CIS or not. If you're going with carbs it makes it easier in my opinion. But as stated there's more to it than just a simple engine sway. The oil system, fuel system, and ignition system are the big three that you'll have to think about and make decisions as to which way to go.

The bodywork? That's up to your taste.

The 68 model year was the last of short wheelbase flat-fender cars, there are just not many left. I would suggest you keep its distinctive body style, it would maximize its value. This one is ours, I think it turned out ok.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rob Abbott

I have gone this route, and it's more complicated that you might think. I'm not that great with electrical though, so maybe it was just complicated for me. I ended up buying a custom wiring harness from Gerald Kroon at Kroon Wire Harnesses. It's plug and play to mate the 912 harness to my 71 T carbs engine harness, complete with CDI. Certainly more costly than figuring it out yourself, but it took five minutes to install and it worked properly. Also, it's clean. You'll also need to deal with the tachometer. Not sure about 68, but my 66 tach did not work with the newer stuff.
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '63 Karmann Ghia convertible
    '76 Alfa Spider

I have converted two 912s to 911s, the motor mounts were the hardest part, I think the main wiring harness is the same as 911 but it was many moons ago.

Remember, you also have an oil tank to mount.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar
    Eaton is right - this is more complicated than you might think. "The devil is in the details", as they say. The "big hitters" have already been mentioned - the wiring harness will have to be substantially modified, you will have to add the entire 911 oiling system including tank and lines, and the motor mounts will need to be cut out and 911 mounts welded in (but you have already done that part). You will also probably need a front cooler for that 3.0, which will include the thermostat and oil lines. Beyond that, there are a myriad of little details. Fuel pump and lines, some form of CDI, something to correct the signal to the tach, and on and on.

My youngest son bought a '68 912 roller with a non-running motor when he was 14 years old. It sat for two years, until his senior year in high school. We converted it to a 911 as his "senior project" over the course of the school year, utilizing a 2.4 MFI inducted motor I had sitting around. I wish I could remember all of the little things we kept running up against, but that was 13 years ago now. I just remember it seemed like one thing after another. It might be best to just dive in and go for it, and address each individual problem as it arrises. I don't think any two conversions will present the same issues anyway, with much dependent upon your choices in induction, ignition, and other components.

I will say that the torque of a 3.0 might be little hard on that poor little 901. You might consider including a 915 as a part of this project, but that presents another set of challenges in itself.

Oh, and I would definitely keep it as a "slab side". There is just a certain charm to those cars that gets lost under the flares.
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."

There is another option. The balance of the 912, torque like a 2.4E and horsepower like a 2.4S. The cost is about the same as finding a 3.0 that needs a rebuild.
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 05-23-2020 at 07:42 AM.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche