Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stolen: 1970 911t

I am very sorry, maybe just a joy ride though and it will be recovered, like you said, who would steel a 50 year old car that would stick out if ever tried to be resold? I drive a 1970 911T that was stolen back in the early 70s and the numbers changed. It was recovered a few years later, sold through the insurance company auction and retitled. Point is that these cars do not just disappear like a stripped honda would so keep up your hope.

I'm very happy to report back in that the car was found and is safe and sound in my possession! Minimal damage as far as I can see. I won't go into too many details because it's an ongoing investigation with the SFPD but it was found close to my home and stashed in a parking garage.

Two things to note:
    1. Gas - it was almost out of gas when they stole it and they couldn't figure out how to release the lid to get to the gas tank. They tried to pry it open with a screw driver and screwed up the paint! Ultimately I believe this lead to them stashing the car.

2. When I arrived, the car was locked. No damage to the door handle lock or the ignition area. Wires were not cut or hanging below the dash. I don't know how they got in!

Next question for me is what method do I use to prevent this from happening again. Several have been mentioned and I'll have to parse through to see what works best but the silver lining to all of this would be future theft prevention for myself and the community.
    David Nelson

1970 911T
    1995 911 Carrera

Fantastic news!!! Thrilled for you and it's always great to hear a story where the douche-bags lose!!!
    1970 Porsche 911T Coupe
    1970 Porsche 914 6-cyl Conversion
    2014 BMW 328i Sports Wagon
    1988 BMW M3
    1991 BMW M-Technic Convertible

Thumbs up

FANTASTIC NEWS DAVID !!!!!

The suggested 'chip' is a great idea....

I have a kill switch to my electric fuel pump...
    Unfortunately this will still let the bad guys drive for about one block...

Cheers on your good fortune,
    Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by Gngroup View Post
    . . . When I arrived, the car was locked. No damage to the door handle lock or the ignition area. Wires were not cut or hanging below the dash. I don't know how they got in! . . .
    It's called a 'slim jim' --- useful for cars built before manufacturers started using 'theft-resistant' door locks . . .

https://www.galls.com/pro-lok-e-z-ji...CABEgJFOfD_BwE

Here's a little 'how-to' video . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du6LsLDnh04

I prefer a coat-hnger, myself

Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey, great news! Congrats!

Great news! a relief to the community
    registry #2072

Excellent! Late to this thread, but very pleased to hear your predicament was resolved without tears! Amazing the thieves stole something they weren't completely familiar with...
    had they known about the fuel flap it wouldn't have been stashed for the police to find. Glad that luck was shining for you.

Of all the suggested anti-theft methods, a battery switch is probably the simplest and most convenient... and adding a tracker ain't a bad idea, either.

(Removing a couple of essential fuses is pretty savvy too and doesn't cost a cent!)
    Last edited by Bullethead; 05-21-2020 at 05:02 PM.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Awesome news!
    Early 911S Registry#3437
    1971 911E

They didn't use a slim Jim, they used a key. The older these cars get the more keys that fit the Ignition. Also note that 914's use the same key. My 1972 key fired up friends 1980 SC. The key can be jiggled and when these locks are old, all kinds of Cuts will turn the lock's. The thief knows if he can unlock the door, he can fire up the Ignition. So unfortunately, he never has to even get in the car until he knows he can drive away with it. With your car being so old, there are umpteen different keys that will start your car. I don't know how late the key was used but I know they were used through the 964's. I have a whole bunch of keys left over from the eighties and nineties when I used to part out 914's mainly. As much as I hate to admit it, of the 16 keys that I have, 5 were able to start my car. And my car only has 103K original, I can't imagine how many keys would work in a car with 200K or more. The lock's will not protect you from somebody who has some knowledge about these cars, you'll need to do something like one of the other posters has recommended. The battery disconnect is probably your best bet. Great news you got it back.