Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Stolen: 1970 911t

Fantastic news! Very happy for you... given the value of the cars, I like the tracking device even though it is subscription based... that and a battery disconnect ...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

That's awesome .... about 50 years ago, my older brother would have his friends visit. it was kind of a mini Mensa meeting place... one of his friends would walk out to the parked locked car and with his back turned to the car door,
    carry on a conversation and in seconds , pick the doors lock.... i used to always pull my rotor from my 356 and 9/12. at least they would not joy drive it away... a gps gadget is not a bad idea.... just dont let them get it in the first place..... great news.... maybe a D.A. got the inspectors on it...

Good news. If it had been an oil flap 72 the morons probably would’ve tried to fill that with petrol

Steve

Wow!...just wow!! Wonderful news...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Great news indeed! So happy for you.

I too recommend a battery switch, but if they want to flatbed it, that won’t stop them. Which is why I also use one of these. Tracks anywhere in the world. https://pocketfinder.com/gpsvehicletracker/ Most thieves don’t expect tech like this in a old car. I won’t say publicly where I mount it, but let’s say it is easy in an old 911 to find a spot which is hidden but has a sky view. And while car alarms are useless, this can send your phone a message if the car leaves a predefined zone, such as your driveway.

A bit pricey, but not compared to the value of our cars.

Ravi
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 05-21-2020 at 06:17 PM.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

How about keeping it in a locked garage at night? instead of on the street. After all you are in the car theft capital. So very glad you got it back!!!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Wonderful outcome David.
    I hope the whole dilemma has not turn your hair as silver as your car.
    Look up this company in New Zealand. I am sure there will be a similar manufacture in the USA.
    I have the Mongoose VT900. It is a vehicle tracker that also has the ability to cut the power supply to the starter motor. (operated from your phone. The only ongoing charges are for the SIM Card inside the unit.
    https://mongoose.co.nz/vt900-vehicles.html
    They make a dog tracker as well called a PT800 it has a SIM as well BUT has a rechargeable battery which lasts 3 months unlike the VT900 which is hard wired into the cars power loom.
    Regardless Great news and sleep well.
    Mark

The last time I parked my 911 on the street in San Francisco was in '2004.

Visiting friends in the southern part of the city around Glenn Park...

I parked in front of there driveway up against their car in front and asked my friend to park their mini van on my rear bumper... I put a car cover on with a lock … and put on the Club and set the kill switch... and still didn't get a full night's sleep....

… but that's just me....

REALLY glad you got your car back David....

cm
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    The last time I parked my 911 on the street in San Francisco was in '2004.

Visiting friends in the southern part of the city around Glenn Park...

I parked in front of there driveway up against their car in front and asked my friend to park their mini van on my rear bumper... I put a car cover on with a lock … and put on the Club and set the kill switch... and still didn't get a full night's sleep....

… but that's just me....

REALLY glad you got your car back David....

cm
    Lol. Love this. I was living in SF then, just married and across town at the base of Russian Hill. Would have broken out in hives parking an old Porsche...or really any Porsche...in most neighborhoods and Glenn Park in particular. My friend had his Honda Accord stolen from in front of his place in that neighborhood. Found it a few blocks away with no signs of forced entry or Clifford Alarm defeat. So he drove it home. And they came and took it again!

David, I am so glad I got your car back. There are some great suggestions on this thread, along with some information that may put all of our old Porsches at increased risk. Of everything, I like solutions that are car-particular. Unusual and crafty kill switches, trackers, etc. But the reality remains: If they want it, they'll get it...

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    How about keeping it in a locked garage at night? instead of on the street.
    Thinking the same thing. You really don't want to park your classic 911 in front of your house every night.

All measures against theft discussed here will only deter joyrides and occasional thieves. A professional car thief can just put the car on movers (https://www.datona.nl/automovers-set-van-4-stuks.html) and take it away. If you have a tracker, you can follow it, but what are you going to do if (in Europe) the car ends up somewhere in a remote location in Slovenia or Hungary. The police is certainly not going to help you so you need a private detective. I would not risk my life/health for a car no matter how special.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833