Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Driver's seat slider is stuck . . . and I can't access the in-rail screws

Help! Driver's seat slider is stuck . . . and I can't access the in-rail screws

Hi Everyone:

I'm stuck at home, but that doesn't mean my driver's seat needs to be stuck as well!

Since I acquired my car--a 71 911T, by the way--the driver's seat slider has been all-but-inop. Specifically, the non-sport (comfort) seat slides forward and back just one click. Unfortunately, the way that the seat is stuck only allows me to access the rear most in-rail screw on both sides. I know, not ideal.

I do have one clue to offer. As I slide the seat forward and back, I can feel the point of resistance--it is near the front of the right (inner) slider rail.

Does anyone have a fix/tip/trick for getting the seat working again? My car and I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Funny, had the same issue with a 71’. One of socket head screws that attached the seat rail to the seat hD backed out a bit. Long story short I used a hammer and modified drift to remove the head of the offending screw. Not elegant I know but fixed the problem. If you move seat slowly with a flashlight you may find the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by chris anderson View Post
    Funny, had the same issue with a 71’. One of socket head screws that attached the seat rail to the seat hD backed out a bit. Long story short I used a hammer and modified drift to remove the head of the offending screw. Not elegant I know but fixed the problem. If you move seat slowly with a flashlight you may find the same issue.
    Thanks! This is what I suspect my issue is. I'll do some investigating and then see if I can get a tool thin and strong enough in there to press it far enough in to maneuver the seat back and address the screw.

Any other suggestions, tips and/or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

This is a real tough one.
    1. It can be a backed out screw. That you'll have to kill that screw.
    2. The 71 cars have a safety rod/rivet/block/thingy. It is in the center, inside the rails.
    It runs into a screw head, that was too tall or worked loose.
    Very hard to get to. Very hard.
    3 you might be able to lever up or lift the top rail as high as you can get it. So it can glide it easy over the top of the screw.
    4. I have a friend who never got his to move. After many hours. We were going to have to remove as many screws as possible. And use the seat as a lever to"break" screws or tear sheet metal. And patch-weld up later.
    5. His was so hard. I took my seats out and drilled out the safety stop on mine.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

We have fixed that by drilling a hole in the slider under the offending screw, then you can access the screw and remove it. When the seat is reinstalled no one will see the hole.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A View Post
    This is a real tough one.
    1. It can be a backed out screw. That you'll have to kill that screw.
    2. The 71 cars have a safety rod/rivet/block/thingy. It is in the center, inside the rails.
    It runs into a screw head, that was too tall or worked loose.
    Very hard to get to. Very hard.
    3 you might be able to lever up or lift the top rail as high as you can get it. So it can glide it easy over the top of the screw.
    4. I have a friend who never got his to move. After many hours. We were going to have to remove as many screws as possible. And use the seat as a lever to"break" screws or tear sheet metal. And patch-weld up later.
    5. His was so hard. I took my seats out and drilled out the safety stop on mine.
    Update: I crawled under there with a flashlight and checked my screws--they're all snug and in non-offending positions.

To your point Scott, I was able to see the safety rod thingamajig. At first, I thought that was a foreign object. But then I double-checked my other rails and found the same small, upturned tab.

So, back to the drawing board. I don't think the problem is related to a backed-out screw. What should I check next?

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    We have fixed that by drilling a hole in the slider under the offending screw, then you can access the screw and remove it. When the seat is reinstalled no one will see the hole.
    Thanks, Ed. Doesn't look like a loose screw is my issue. Any other thoughts would be much appreciated.

[Side Note: You'll be seeing this car's transmission mount for a refresh and new bushings in the coming months. Stay tuned!]

May need to use thin blade saw between the bottom of rail and mount , cut offending object.
    Lever the rail just enough for blade to fit .
    Just a thought
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)

As I continue to scratch my head over what could possibly be jamming my seat, I snapped a few pictures of the front of the inner rail, which is where I believe the problem is. I also shot a video so you all can see what I'm dealing with. The sound and resistance feels like it is coming from the inner seat rail around the safety tab and/or handbrake handle (the black plastic piece with the release button, not the metal arm).

VIDEO: https://vimeo.com/421109832

A few points to share based on my efforts last night:

1. Using a long and thin screw driver, I was able to get into the rail but was not able to feel anything loose. And I gave it a few, slightly aggressive tries.
    2. I am not able to see anything problematic in the rail. But, perhaps the object is just behind the safety tab.
    3. The release pull is fully disengaging. Both metal teeth come out of their respective holes.

Thanks again for your help getting this corrected. The car is too fun to have a cramped driving position.

Name:  IMG_7962.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  49.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7968.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  37.7 KB

You are going to have to remove the seat from the car, turn it up side down, locate the area where the stop screw came loose and drill an access hole.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.