Thread: 69 911 turn signal questions

69 911 turn signal questions

Not to beat a dead horse with this topic, but I can't seem to figure out why when I put the turn signals on only the rear taillight parking lights come on with the turn signal lights and the headlight switch is in the off position.

I have checked the wiring according to several diagrams available and all of the wiring is brand new and is in the correct location. All grounds are correct and in place, new taillight housings with new bulbs.

Another bit of info is that when the hazard switch is activated none of the parking lights come on as it should, all seem to flash like it normally. When I put the lever to the right position, the turn signal works correctly but the parking lights are illuminated. If I put the lever to the left the signals flash fast and the parking lights come on as well.

Could this be a turn signal switch issue? Has anyone had this similar concern? Thanks for any help.

Guess no one wants to help a noob!.

wiring can be hours of sorting... so many varibles.
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ruf Dub View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse with this topic, but I can't seem to figure out why when I put the turn signals on only the rear taillight parking lights come on with the turn signal lights and the headlight switch is in the off position.

I have checked the wiring according to several diagrams available and all of the wiring is brand new and is in the correct location. All grounds are correct and in place, new taillight housings with new bulbs.

Another bit of info is that when the hazard switch is activated none of the parking lights come on as it should, all seem to flash like it normally. When I put the lever to the right position, the turn signal works correctly but the parking lights are illuminated. If I put the lever to the left the signals flash fast and the parking lights come on as well.

Could this be a turn signal switch issue? Has anyone had this similar concern? Thanks for any help.
    Actually, I recall that this might be normal behavior, as in designed to be a lighted parking aid for city use. Seem to recall it being discussed before.

To put a a fine point on it, to get to the bottom of it requires the car schematics, meters, time, detective (troubleshooting) skills and most importantly,,,,,, Beer. Though normally not on cars, I do this for a living. You're not going to get a quick forum fix when it comes to tracking electrical gremlins down.

If you have all of the above tools, dig in, learn about your ride and enjoy the journey.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by Ruf Dub View Post

I read the above several times trying to understand what was the malfunction, but gave up in frustration as I couldn't understand what were the "rear taillight parking lights" or the "turn signal lights." If the question is about the low wattage overnight parking lights, the behavior is normal when the turn signal stalk is moved to the left or right with the ignition turned off. Stalk turned left, front and rear left side overnight lamps are illuminated. Stalk turned right, right side lamps illuminated. There are several threads on this topic - do a search.
    I still don't understand what is happening with regard to the hazard switch. We're glad to help, but the questions must be phrased so as to be understandable.

Thanks I have lots of beer and lots of time to go through the wiring diagrams I thought maybe someone here would have the same issue before and could maybe assist me.
    Sorry that you are frustrated with my explanation. I will try to break it down for you.
    1. Rear taillight housing parking lights cone on with turn signals (with the ignition switch turned to the on position). Parking lights stay on and the turn signal bulb flashes. See picture 2 large circles are the parking lights smaller is the turn signal.

2- when I turn on the hazard switch they flash normally like they were designed.
    3- I am aware of when the ignition switch is off and the turn stalk is used left or right that the lights are illuminated.

Thanks, you know the saying 2 heads are better than one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I once mixed up the bulbs that go in the front turn signals (2 contacts on the bottom of the bulb) with the rear turn signal bulbs (single contact on the bottom) and the random insanity like you are describing ensued. Double check that you have the correct types of bulbs in the turn signals (and other sockets), the car was a 1970.

Older thread resurrection: I am having the same issue. It almost seems like it's by design. If I remove the turn signal fuse, it still lights the side markers/ parking lights. It's not random, it just lights the side of the car that the turn signal is flashing on, thought the parking lights do not flash. They stay on as long as the blinker is on.

Any resolution OP? Thx
    - 1969 911T Ossi Blue #3981

For future reference, this appears to be a short across the stalk sending current to the parking lights via grey/black and grey/red wires, which I believe are only on the stalk for the Euro "overnight parking" lights. Quick fix you can disconnect grey/black and grey/red at the light switch until you sort out why the short is happening on the stalk from red/white to the 2 greys.
    - 1969 911T Ossi Blue #3981