Thread: Intake Studs - Too Short (?)

Intake Studs - Too Short (?)

I have just completed a mock-up on my 2.2L engine & with installation of new gaskets & heat insulators between the manifold & intake port.
    I now have this situation:
    Name:  911S -100_5333.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  140.7 KB
    There isn't sufficient stud length for the sealing washers & the lock nut. In this photo you can see I didn't have sufficient space for
    the sealing washer - but as stated - this was just for mock-up purposes.

I've installed new gaskets as per this snipped view from the PET:

Name:  Intake Studs.PNG
Views: 197
Size:  12.4 KB

Mine originally had only one paper gasket & no phenolic heat spacer when I disassembled things which may account
    for the shortened stud protrusion from the intake port on the cylinder head. Someone had either really ‘cheaped’ out
    & not installed the spacers or they weren’t originally part of general spec – although that seems highly unlikely to me.

I would like to know if anyone of you has come across this situation & could specify a proper stud length before I order
    some new longer ones & start the process of disassembly/re-assembly for the new longer studs - which seems to me to be the
    obvious solution at this time.

Any thoughts or advice will be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    JB
    Last edited by Hawkeye; 05-24-2020 at 09:58 AM.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. - Winston Churchill

Early 911S Registry Member #3749

Insulators were not factory installed. Those came later as a field fix for hot starting issues. The insulators from Porsche came with longer studs. I don't know the length off hand, just make sure they're about 1/4" longer than the ones you have.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Hi Ed
    Thanks for the background info on the insulators & suggestion for replacement stud length.
    I now know what I'll be doing in about half an hour.
    Cheers
    JB
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. - Winston Churchill

Early 911S Registry Member #3749