Thread: 911 S MFI Plastic or steel Snorkel ?

911 S MFI Plastic or steel Snorkel ?

Hi
    Does the S 2.2l snorkel were plastic or steel material?
    And does the aircleaner was plastic or steel too ?
    Tks a lot
    22S

The answer is both. Plastic stacks were originally used, then because of backfire melting problems replacements were steel. The first aircleaners were metal, then around 1971 (no one knows exact start) plastic aircleaners came to be used.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

What Ed said. Plastic happened sometime in the 71MY. 71's Air cleaner housings are identical to 72's except the 71"s have plumbing for cold start. The corresponding snorkel would be plastic. These Air cleaner housings ran special buckets on the intake stacks for the different clips used to hold the Air cleaner down.
    Aaron Burnham
    Burnham Performance
    1071 Avenida Acaso ste D.
    Camarillo, Ca. 93012
    805-240-6931

.. Early in 70s Porsche engineering produced a booklet setting out their capabilities to the automotive industry. One core competence was in lightweight plastic parts:

Name:  82797FD6-7A1C-45CA-9309-F6A4C2D9E697.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  30.2 KB

Nice find. In hindsight, it wasn't a great idea to spray fuel above the air horns for cold start. The steel air cleaners could handle the intermittent fires....the plastic ones however.....
    Aaron Burnham
    Burnham Performance
    1071 Avenida Acaso ste D.
    Camarillo, Ca. 93012
    805-240-6931

Tks to all
    So there is no rule ....when housing is plastic, snorkel can be steel or either plastic, right?

As far as I know plastic air cleaner,,,plastic snorkel. Why,,,,do you have a mix?
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Yes, I have a plastic housing and steel snorkel on my street S 2.2l MY 71 and same on MY 70 with curent restoration S2.2/2.3l project ( which I will plan to cancel and sale)

See if others will reply with a mix also, certainly not impossible for some to have been mixed. Don't try to apply absolutes to a company that didn't.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Don't try to apply absolutes to a company that didn't.
    Now that is a GREAT quote Ed..... and VERY true.....

My early '71 was plastic/plastic...

cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter