Thread: SWB. Must have upgrades?

SWB. Must have upgrades?

I’m sure this has been beaten to death. But I can’t really find anything.
    I have a 1968 912. It’s getting a 3.0 upgrade and full resto mod R hotrod wherever I end up. I want a decent performing hotrod. Don’t need to stay original at all. I am staying with the narrow body seeing have have really nice quarters and fenders.

So what are some absolute musta on upgrading this car?

Because of the quarantine I can’t get to any any meetups to see others cars to talk and get ideas in person. Unless someone invites me over

Suspension
    Shifter
    Maximum wheels size.
    Etc.......

And anything you guys can add would be great.

Thanks.

I would get some brakes for that 3.0, I am using 3in Brembo Calipers, Bolt on Upgrade, from an Alfa with custom 3d printed ducting.
    Name:  20191216_151851.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  83.3 KB

-Bigger Sway Bars
    -15x6 with 205/60R15's with spacers are the largest size you can go in all four corners unless you get a set of 7R's for the rear (reach deep in your pockets for a set of those), that way you can run a 225/60R15 because of the offset
    -Front Oil Cooler or Coolers for that 3.0
    -I am still using my dogleg 901 trans and shifter, so no upgrades there
    -Roll cage for harnesses
    -tach will have to be changed for 6 cylinders
    -dry sump installed
    -maybe a triple gauge
    https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnq6XjNHfs_/

Awesome!

I see you AXed at el Toro? I did that for 6 years. I really miss it.
    Maybe I can check your car out some day.
    Thanks for the help.

If you have links fir any of the stuff you bought that would be great. Thanks.

You might get more response on a question like this over on Rennlist than here. But in short, putting a 3.0 into a 912 will involve more than most folks realize, and will be more expensive than you may expect. At minimum you will need motor mounts, the engine, a new wiring harness, an oil tank, an upgraded oil cooler, different exhaust, and better brakes. And I don't actually know what is involved in mating a 3.0 to a 901 transmission. After that, you can think about suspension, bodywork, wheels, race seat, shifter, whatever you'd like; the sky is the limit. The thing is, you could spend a fortune, but bear in mind it is all for you; you'll never get your money out of it. And your car will still officially be a 912.
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

Yeah, Autox at El Toro. Sometimes track at Buttonwillow
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BvWTdbvlpz1/

I totally forgot about the motor mounts... I left my 912 ones in so I run with my original engine.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BnYHiKjHzCw/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BocnWyJnk-C/

I used the standard wiring harness, no upgrades there. I actually made it to interchange the wires with quick disconnects so I can drop an install the engines with in an hour and half.
    You will also need an electronic fuel pump.

911 motor mounts are in. I have a 3.0 and 901. I’m literally not keeping track of what I’m spending. I just don’t want to know. The car is for me for as long as I can keep it. I’ve seen 912 to 911 SWB conversions sell for ridiculous amounts. I don’t expect to gain much profit from this. I want the experience and the reward for finishing this monumental task.
    I’ll do most of the work myself minus body and paint.

I've been on this slippery slope for 10 years and I'm still not done. I'm working on the upgrades of the upgrades. By comparison a new GT3 would be real inexpensive. And I've had to do zero body work. Stuff you don't even notice now will bother you down the road as you fix the most obvious things first. Almost every part on my car is custom. Custom costs $. For me I wouldn't have it any other way as I NEVER want to copy what has already been done. A properly done 912/6 or my 912 2CAM4 is not a cheap way to a 911 if properly done. Go for it. Just be realistic about what you are taking on.
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 05-26-2020 at 05:21 AM.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Oil cooling and brakes both require some forethought. You can switch the whole front end to a later style and utilize S, SC or Carrera brakes or the brembo solution above. Likely you will have to do a custom oil cooler. Check Ed Mayo’s post on his oil cooling for his 67. I did something similar on my ‘68.

You also need to really think about seatbelts as the ones that your car came with are shit. Do a search on the topic.
    -Jay
    Seabrook, TX
    '68 911T project -The Rat
    '74 911 3.0 EFI Twin Plug toy
    '80 Weissach 3.2 S.S. Grocery Getter
    '70 914/6 GT vintage race car

You might consider getting a 915 installed instead of 901. It can safely handle the extra power and you will have a taller R&P which is nice for freeway driving. You can hammer out the trans bay to allow for the 915 to fit.

67 912, 915 and Subaru swap, 305hp to the wheels, the car is a blast... maybe go that route?

Video has a slight delay.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B3dPiCAlEiK/

Quote Originally Posted by stubble88 View Post
    I have a 1968 912. It’s getting a 3.0 upgrade and full resto mod R hotrod wherever I end up. I want a decent performing hotrod. Don’t need to stay original at all. I am staying with the narrow body seeing have have really nice quarters and fenders.
    With cars and parts as plentiful as they are, it's hard to figure achieving a result would be as grueling a task as it is. Hotrodding was once all about visiting a yard, and a few hundred $ later coming up with innovative ideas to get where you were going. In the end, it all kind of boils down to the price-of-parts being quite high.

Take an example of (1) sheet of paper which is .001" thick. Folding it (1) time, you double it = .002". However, if you could double the same sheet (50) x's, how high a stack of paper would you have ?

Surprisingly, comes to 17 million miles..

That what makes it difficult.