Thread: Period Racing Tyres question

Period Racing Tyres question

Hi Folks,

I have just about completed the 'sport purpose' set-up on my 1970 built, 71MY T, including 16mm throught body OEM F&R sway bars and drop links, and i've revalved the original Koni's to 'Sport' valving, up from 'classic' spec. That said, the car is sitting on flat 6 fuchs and I am wondering specifically about period correct tyres.

Can anyone tell me when 'Dunlop Racing' 500M style tyres were used, and when perhaps were Michelin TB5/15's used, and then Avon Crz66?

I was considering running 185/70 CR6ZZ's, but wonder if in 1970 were these used, of not what was at that time?

Definitely an anorak question, but one that I can't seem to find much on and do wonder.

Many thanks,

Adam

Lightbulb

Adam,

I was wondering where you wanted the 'prospective racing provenance' to be from...
    Then I saw you used the slang 'anorak' which is kind'a UK ?.... So racing outside the U.S. …. Yes ?

Because by 1970 most U.S. racing 911's were on slightly treaded Good Year Blue Streaks or equivalent Firestones...

Slicks didn't happen over here for 'door slammers' (Tin Tops) till about late '72

I'll let the guys on the continent, or the guys that really know answer you....
    However I'm pretty sure the TB's were around back then...

Cheers and good luck on your project,
    Chuck
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Pretty sure the Avon Crz66 is a relatively recent addition to the tire world, and was not used in period. Not sure about the other two.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Adam,

I was wondering where you wanted the 'prospective racing provenance' to be from...
    Then I saw you used the slang 'anorak' which is kind'a UK ?.... So racing outside the U.S. …. Yes ?

Because by 1970 most U.S. racing 911's were on slightly treaded Good Year Blue Streaks or equivalent Firestones...

Slicks didn't happen over here for 'door slammers' (Tin Tops) till about late '72

I'll let the guys on the continent, or the guys that really know answer you....
    However I'm pretty sure the TB's were around back then...

Cheers and good luck on your project,
    Chuck
    Thanks Chuck, I greatly appreciate your response and I should have mentioned I was from Australia, and the cars I have as perhaps more familiar with were those from Europe, albeit not exclusively.

I had been toying with both the Avon’s and Dunlop’s, but for some reason I feel the Dunlop’s were more 60’s as opposed to even early 70’s.

Would be interested in any other thoughts on this topic.

Regards,

Adam

Adam,

I think 500M = CR-65. If so, according to Roger Kraus Racing: https://rogerkrausracing.com/pdfpric...-2018.-pdf.pdf they were first used in 1965.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  142.2 KB
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

I've been looking at the Dunlop M series as well, although they're pricey. A deep 6/7r combo is planned, just not certain how well the medium compound available will perform as a street tire.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

I put a set of the Dunlops on my 68 when I built the car. There is no question they look the part however they are a non radial race tire. The are really not so good if it is cool or driven on concrete. In other words they need optimal conditions to operate as they are intended. I have just bought a set of Avons to replace them as I think it will make a tremendous difference in performance and drive quality. If you are going to drive the car I would not use the Dunlops and if you are not used to the race characteristics of such a tire I would definitely not use them. I think many have concluded the Avon is the way to go.

Thanks Rennman, this is excellent feedback. I have researched the Avons, and I should also point out that the European 2.0 Porsche Cup, I believe exclusively mandates the use of the Avons. From my channel checks also, the CN36 Pirelli's are an excellent Road tyre, and the XWX Michelins are also great (albeit possibly not as well rated as the Pirelli), but for the full-blown white knuckle ride, the Avon CR6ZZ's do seem to fit the bill. Whilst not truly period authentic, they look it ... to a tee!

I will be running the 185/70 Avon's for the road (on flat 6 fuchs) on the firmer compound of the two offered.