Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australian Mirror....

Australian Mirror....

Hey guys,

I'm after some help that specifically relates to Australian and ROW markets so guess this is the best place to ask the question....

I'm looking for a right side door mirror for my 1974 3.0RS project and would appreciate if anyone can help or point me in the right direction?

....many here will probably know this however I've just learnt that 74-77 cars for Australia, Japan and Hong Kong had a mirror that differed to all other markets.....a rounded edge flag type right mirror.....

....this mirror also happened to be fitted to the six RHD 3.0RS cars produced in 1974 rather than the normal large flag mirror seen on LHD cars.....

...it's a small detail that I'd like to get right on my build and not concerned if the mirror is black or chrome......if anyone can help I'm happy to pay good money and would naturally be eternally grateful

darren@swindoncarandvan.co.uk

Cheers,

Shape seems identical to late VW Type 3 mirrors, which are mounted on the pillar, not the door top. The surround is rubber?
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    Shape seems identical to late VW Type 3 mirrors, which are mounted on the pillar, not the door top. The surround is rubber?
    ...thanks, I think it's almost certain that the mirror has been sourced from another manufacturer and I've looked at various VW/Audi/Mercedes variants etc. It is very close to the Type 3, not sure about the surround.

Cheers,

They have come up for sale a few times on our TYP901 Australian forum

Quote Originally Posted by 9er View Post
    They have come up for sale a few times on our TYP901 Australian forum
    ....thanks for the reply. I have reached out to a couple of people who are forum regulars who said they'd kindly keep a look out for me although any leads are much appreciated.

Love Adelaide btw.....I obtained a South Australia State sponsored visa in 2007/8 and visited Adelaide on two separate occasions back then to check out job opportunities and places to live. The crunch of 2008 fundamentally (but mostly my wife's cold feet) stopped us emigrating but I often wonder how life would have been if we had, I doubt we'd have come back. I heard they were trying to double the population back then so expect it's changed quite a bit now. Wonderful city

Cheers,

Nuh still a lazy big country town but a wonderful city non the less, with some fabulous golf courses.

I would happily live there, peak hour traffic lasts 10 minutes but they wouldn't have me, I am a Victorian!!!
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

A question to those who know this mirror: is the fitting on door the same e.g. holes so totally interchangeable with the round Durant drivers door mirror of 1973 used on model year 73 RHD 911?

Hi Steve

Nope not interchangable if you wanted to use the factory durant mirror holes of a 73 in Australia was fitted further back and higher up as per the choc brown car in the first 2 pics

David, who built my ST has a pic of a Porsche dealership from back in the day full of 74 cars all with this mirror and all located in same place as the mentioned pic.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Cheers Clyde

Since I asked found old photo of Nick Faure in the AFN one of the half a dozen original rhd 74. Published early autumn 1974
    A00957CE-2912-4AAA-B9F3-07217740BDB9.jpeg
    89B82E4A-1A51-4A37-8228-A051DEF8A5BD.jpeg

Not sure it is same mirror but for posting for reference. If same maybe U.K. and aus positioned differently. Think of the six one went to Hamilton in Aus others went to likes of Vesty, Bamford, Hesketh ( himself not Hunt as often reported incorrectly) and Faure via AFN

Nick and I were planning to meet up in April day of lockdown but got postponed due to Covid but expect meet soon once restrictions lifted — doubt he’d recall a detail like this
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-10-2020 at 06:55 AM.