Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australian Mirror....

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    .......If same maybe U.K. and aus positioned differently.....
    ....the ex-Alan Hamilton Australian 3.0RS has the mirror in the same position (at least it does now) as the UK RS's so expect it was only the Aussie Carrera's that differed....

Cheers,

Hi Darren,

I had a left side mirror like this, it was NOS from Sonauto French Porsche dealer

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...-(Carrera-3-0)
    #rennfrog

That's similar but a different mirror OliveR, I've never seen a left sided mirror of this type.

Cheers,

Something I thought I'd only find in your part of the world turned up only 40 minutes from where I live.....

.....by pure chance I was trying to source a rare RS part from a dealer (of which the dealer has two NOS items but won't sell) when I mentioned in passing this mirror I was looking for and amazingly he had this available.....

.....although the exact item needed, the mirror will need to be stripped and coated black however I do have another lead on a black door mirror so this one may be become surplus to requirements. If it does I'll post its availability here.

Huge thanks to all those that have helped me trying to find this part

Cheers,

That is different to the Aussie mirror, which looks like this and this is the sort I was telling you David multiple versions of
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S View Post
    That is different to the Aussie mirror, which looks like this and this is the sort I was telling you David multiple versions of
    Thanks Clyde, I'm learning and guess the mirror as you've pictured is more commonly known as the 'Aussie' mirror although my understanding is the one I have was originally fitted to 74 (onwards?) Aussie spec 2.7 Carrera's and certainly all RHD Carrera 3.0RS's.

Anyhow's I have what I need and appreciate your help with the search.

Cheers,

Took these shots of mirrors on Aus del carrera's years ago at Rennsport Sydney.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    S Registry#2021

These mirrors are just like buses! .....

.....I was offered another two NOS mirrors that I collected today.....

.....for reference part number is 911 731 017 05 although surprisingly my local friendly Porsche Parts Manager couldn't find it anywhere on the UK Porsche parts system......

....so, for a part I feared could elude me forever ultimately ends up being the easiest to find!......all I need now is another two cars so I can use the spare mirrors! .....

Cheers,

That's amazing! Serendipity is clearly your friend.

Any idea how many variations there are and are both versions you have the same PN? Just from the images in this thread I count 4 or 5... chrome with grey, chrome with black, all black and no rubber.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    That's amazing! Serendipity is clearly your friend.

Any idea how many variations there are and are both versions you have the same PN? Just from the images in this thread I count 4 or 5... chrome with grey, chrome with black, all black and no rubber.
    .....I'm not really sure but have a theory that all mirrors were initially chrome and painted black for RS, and possibly other models....I understand this was certainly true for chrome number plate lamps that were painted black on RS's....

.....again no clue on the black/grey rubber lip although suspect on the mirror without it's just missing.

There's only one part number I'm aware of and maybe the lip was just changed at some point during production.

Incidentally the design allows you to switch from left to right and I have seen a period RSR photo with these mirrors fitted both sides......I strongly suspect this mirror came from another manufacturers parts bin!

Ultimately that could mean one version!

Cheers,