Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: so who bought a motorcycle later in life?

Yes, I ride too - some are small, some are bigger..

IMG_8029.jpg

...2 answer the thruxton
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by haul; 05-28-2020 at 11:57 AM.
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

I've had a few, but had a long break when I had nowhere to keep it off road. As soon as I bought a house with a garage I was back in the game. Bike theft is far too big of a risk in London. I use my BMW to commute through central London every morning (when I'm not isolated at home). Biking through London is super dangerous, but the only way to get anywhere in a reasonable time. The BMW 1250 GS is a great bike but too big for weaving through traffic. I need a screen to protect me from the weather too, so a sports bike or naked bike isn't ideal for commuting.

Yamaha RD50 (86-87)
    Suzuki TS100 (87-88)
    Honda MBX125 (88-90)
    Honda GSX600 (91-94)
    BMW F650 GS Dakar (2011-2019)
    BMW F850 GS (2019-Now)

I stopped riding about 10 years ago but still have my 94 Ducati 900SS/SP that I got back in 94 along with my Bultaco Metrella MKII (project) and more recently purchased a Gilera 150 Sport. I sometimes think of selling Bothe the Ducati and Bultaco and keeping keeping just the Gilera... we'll see.
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

After having totaled 2 cars when I stuck my bikes (also both totaled) into them after their drivers haven't seen me I only drove off Road and haven't been on the street for 20+ years.
    Still have 3 Bikes '87 Heos Husqvarna 501 (a one-off), a 93 HD Sportster (also more a one-off, but stopped rebuilding it - so it' in boxes), and a GAS GAS trial bike.
    A friend who lives near me has close to 30 bikes everytime he visits me I am tempted...

Quote Originally Posted by haul View Post
    ...2 answer the thruxton
    Bikes like that were my inspiration!
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Been riding 40+ years with my brother, almost always on dedicated motorcycle trips. Used to commute to college, then work in LA in the early 80’s. It was scary then and I can’t imagine what it’s like to daily commute in big city traffic these days. We take the country roads now but you still have to be exceeding careful and expect every car will do something bizarre and try and nail you. If you haven’t ridden in a long while, I strongly suggest a refresher intermediate instruction course even if you think you don’t need it. You will be glad you did.
    D18AE2BE-AA3D-4BF4-AC2E-AF00CE1CF11D.jpg

And latest non-Porsche project

2E704380-4A9A-416B-A959-FC351E89C05C.jpg

I had a few Triumphs back a few years ago:

The above was a Triumph Bonneville poster from when I dated blond girls.

Then:
    My 1973 Bonnie with a Harley that I flipped:

I also had a 1972 Norton Commando (it was stolen):
    Doc
    1972 Porsche 911
    2023 Porsche 911 Turbo
    2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350

your Triumph poster.. thank you for this...really great
    would love to hang it on my wall.

I once had been together with a very nice woman, who made her bicycle driver license only for the purpose to drive a Triumph.
    She still has her 500 Daytona from Las Vegas and a 73 Bonnie....

concerning the Norton...there is only one tone:
    The Nor Ton

enjoy
    stay safe&healthy
    haul
    Last edited by haul; 05-31-2020 at 01:08 AM.
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar
    Oh God - don't get me started on motorcycles. They may be an even bigger addiction for me than early 911's...

I grew up riding dirt bikes, and bought my first road bike at 16, a then one year old Harley Sportster. Within three years time, I went through three, and still own the one I bought in 1979. In its current iteration, there is not a single HD part of any kind left inside the motor or trans. I won't bore you guys with the details, but essentially a cost-is-no-object study in hot-rodding an early "Ironhead" Sportster. Kind of quirky in this day and age, as it's right hand shift and kick start only.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."