Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: so who bought a motorcycle later in life?

so who bought a motorcycle later in life?

Im a young 62...lol... I rode in the 80s...

Im in love w/ the newer bonnies...

05 to 2012 or so...

sooooo affordable..

rode an 05 on Fri eve......so vintage...I loved it...

any insight as to y I should / should not

do u ride???

pics of your ride?

Quote Originally Posted by 70tangerine View Post
    Im a young 62...lol... I rode in the 80s...

Im in love w/ the newer bonnies...

05 to 2012 or so...

sooooo affordable..

rode an 05 on Fri eve......so vintage...I loved it...

any insight as to y I should / should not

do u ride???

pics of your ride?
    i`v ridden a lot back in the 90ies way more than i drove my cars....stopped riding around the year 2000... in 2010 or so i went for a week long trip with a friends motorcycle(same type as i used to ride) and it was horrible...way more trafic on the roads..and way more care/recklessness against motorcyclists...it was not much fun....

my rides ... several KTM DUKE + competitors ..one still in my garage
    Attached Images Attached Images

yes...my buddys been riding 45 yrs.... he says nowadays its waaaay more dangerous

but id only be on B and back roads.......

buttttttt, i see your insight

still riding...started with 12...
    bikes are the reason for my oris trailer hook...

but: you always! have to calculate with everything!always!
    riding a motorcycle is a Brownian motion combined with the attraction of differently charged particles.

be aware of where you are...we are free flying in space...

and yes...
    it‘s easy on a triumph
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Started at 16. Stopped at 50. Never had an accident or an off. But distracted drivers started becoming a huge issue around the time I quit (6 years ago). Riding B roads isn't even safe and you have to get there first. Had two friends hit by texting drivers in 2012 and 2014. One died. Other can barely walk with a walker. Both on rural roads. So there is no safe place. Until cell phones became viral, I used to be able to predict what drivers would do and had a really well developed situational awareness. But not any more. Too unpredictable, at least where I live.

I was pretty hardcore too. Rode from the time the snow cleared to when the snow settled in. 8 months of the year or so. Even built my own 1087 cc Triumph Thruxton from the ground up. Here's a pic of it and my Speed Triple.

Still miss it every spring.

IMG_0338.jpg
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    Started at 16. Stopped at 50. Never had an accident or an off. But distracted drivers started becoming a huge issue around the time I quit (6 years ago). Riding B roads isn't even safe and you have to get there first. Had two friends hit by texting drivers in 2012 and 2014. One died. Other can barely walk with a walker. Both on rural roads. So there is no safe place. Until cell phones became viral, I used to be able to predict what drivers would do and had a really well developed situational awareness. But not any more. Too unpredictable, at least where I live.

I was pretty hardcore too. Rode from the time the snow cleared to when the snow settled in. 8 months of the year or so. Even built my own 1087 cc Triumph Thruxton from the ground up. Here's a pic of it and my Speed Triple.

Still miss it every spring.

IMG_0338.jpg

siiiiiigh...

that Thruxton....wow

Other way 'round for me. Bought my first road bike in 1978 (new '78 KZ650 Custom). Gave up and sold the last one ('91 K75RT) in 2013. Close to 200k miles on a total of 5 bikes over those 35 years. But roads filled with more big SUVs than I prefer for biking these days.

DSC_4072.jpg
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Started riding in my late 30’s. Had fierce parental resistance, then fierce spousal resistance. When I found myself single, i figured it was a window of opportunity. Been riding almost 20 years now, in and around NYC, and love it. For sure, there’s more distracted driving then ever, but regardless in the congested North East, you’ve got to be on high alert at all times.

May not count as a motorcycle but I got this for my 50th

Image 27-04-19 at 1.10 PM.jpg
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by KennethClay View Post
    Had fierce parental resistance,
    ..after my older sis was forcefully convinced by my parents not to take driving lessons .i avoided this by confronting them
    with faits accomplis...and few days after my 18th birthday(that was the legal age for riding big bikes here in AT) i bought my first motorcycle ..registered it and wroom ,wroom .