Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: so who bought a motorcycle later in life?

Quote Originally Posted by haul View Post
    well, yes...the uk has a real phantastic vintage bike tradition...and this was kept alive most of the time..
    But with the relativ low costs.......
    Haul, if a restored 29 Scout surfaces in the U.S. or on BAT in fine shape, collectors will pounce on the thing like there's no tomorrow...taking it to 911E price levels.

Likewise in Europe ?

29. .scout.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 62S-R-S View Post
    Haul, if a restored 29 Scout surfaces in the U.S. or on BAT in fine shape, collectors will pounce on the thing like there's no tomorrow...taking it to 911E price levels.

Likewise in Europe ?

29. .scout.jpg
    absolutely yes...
    rarities are collectables, and depending on occasion the collectiors are at the same auctions worldwide
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Started with a CZ then a Yamaha 360mx I bought for weekends at El Mirage, then a 175 Yamaha enduro. Now I have a Honda 250xl, Honda ct110, Yamaha qt50 and a Puch moped I havent ridden in decades. Im actually enjoying my electric bicycles more these days.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    My Happy Place - glad it's not any bigger
    R69S, M8 Bultaco Metralla, Trail 90, and M137 Bultaco Alpina - and that red thing, not sure what that is...

Big difference then and now; used to be able to grab and go out the door and ride off into the countryside, often meeting up with the rest of the gang. Now have to drive to trails to ride and mostly solo.
    Still love the feeling though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

After many years of fire and EMS work, I no longer have any desire to ride a bike, but still enjoy looking at them. Thanks for the pictures.

English rider Peter Hickman holds the record Isle of Man TT at an average speed just a tad over 135 mph covering lap of almost 38 miles…A lap with him with commentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju_hxwAanX0

These guys have balls…nearly 150 riders killed since event started in early 1900s which is harldly a surprise seeing the trees, lampposts, stone walls and houses flash by. Many car road races (eg Targa Florio discontinued in 1973) got banished on safety grounds but somehow this event still flourishes on the island, a self governed British dependency, in middle of the Irish Sea.

Madness but .....Enjoy

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-21-2020 at 05:40 AM.

I used to ride a lot and have had more than my fair share of cool bikes over the years. I don't ride much anymore unless it's on limited access roads like the Blue Ridge Parkway or Skyline Drive which are nearby. (Cell phones don't work due to poor coverage)
    My keepers are 5 "elderly" BMW's + an Electra Glide. Sold the bevel Ducatis years ago and all of my Moto Guzzi's over a year ago. I've had the Electra Glide since '96 which I will still ride because it's brakes and handling outmatch any of the old BMW's I have. Never cared how fast they went; only how fast they stopped. I do miss (looking at) my 851 and 888 even if they were some of the most uncomfortable bikes I ever owned. The bevel 750 Sports were 1st place. I refer to them as "15 minute rides".
    Best all around bike I ever had was a Honda VFR 750. It did nothing wrong.
    www.pbase.com/tdb
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    I used to ride a lot and have had more than my fair share of cool bikes over the years. I don't ride much anymore unless it's on limited access roads like the Blue Ridge Parkway or Skyline Drive which are nearby. (Cell phones don't work due to poor coverage)
    My keepers are 5 "elderly" BMW's + an Electra Glide. Sold the bevel Ducatis years ago and all of my Moto Guzzi's over a year ago. I've had the Electra Glide since '96 which I will still ride because it's brakes and handling outmatch any of the old BMW's I have. Never cared how fast they went; only how fast they stopped. I do miss (looking at) my 851 and 888 even if they were some of the most uncomfortable bikes I ever owned. The bevel 750 Sports were 1st place. I refer to them as "15 minute rides".
    Best all around bike I ever had was a Honda VFR 750. It did nothing wrong.
    www.pbase.com/tdb
    I watched that YouTube. Thanks for mentioning it. That is insane. Wow. I always wanted a 750 VFR when they were new. My dream bike by the reviews. Are there any great ones for sale?

I‘ve seen this on Saturday... really nice. But my mantra „I won‘t ride a bike in public traffic“ says no
    B720C315-6649-4B89-B8F0-15B02194DB24.jpeg

853FD067-000B-47C1-B2DA-70D4AADB7F20.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    I watched that YouTube. Thanks for mentioning it. That is insane. Wow. I always wanted a 750 VFR when they were new. My dream bike by the reviews. Are there any great ones for sale?
    Last one I looked at was around 2001. Mine was carbureted and the next iteration was fuel injected which was a plus because while they really did respond well to carb kitting it was a bit of a pain.
    I had a Staintune can on it. Between the gear driven cams and the V4 arrangement it made noises just about as pretty as a Ducati. Less maintenance too. I'm not seeing any that I'd be interested in. I do have a contact that does nothing but motorcycle buying, selling and trading. Known him for years. If you want I'll pm his information.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111