Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: so who bought a motorcycle later in life?

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar
    Next up is my 1993 Ducati 900 Super Sport. Another bike with every imaginable, every available hop-up made. I've got its weight down to 365 pounds wet, with the help of all carbon fiber bodywork, including the tank. Mark Sutton of The Duc Shop in Atlanta ported and set up the heads for me, replacing the stock cams with ST2 units. J&E pistons, Keihen flat slide carbs, Termi "Spaghetti" exhaust, etc. etc. Paint job by me, after I low sided it off a cliff one day (long story...).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."

And then there is the bike my wife and I call "the minivan", our 2013 Harley Road King. This is our two-up, long distance, state to state touring bike. I cannot think of anything better for that duty. Very comfortable for the long haul, yet not so "protected" by all kinds of fairings and lowers that you don't know you are on a bike. Plenty of power, with its 103 cubic inch engine, even with both of us and all of our stuff for multiple days on the road.

And, finally, my "adventure" bike. 2003 Honda XR650L, otherwise known as "the Big Red Pig". It's actually heavier than my Ducati... Again, all "farkled" out, with all of the popular mods. Really huge tank - 6.5 gallons - so I can go way way up into the mountains or out into the desert. Not great on the freeway, not great on tight, wooded single track, but a great compromise on which I can spend days and days exploring pretty remote country.

I recently bought a low mileage Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 on a whim.....I liked these when they first came out back in 2014. They aren't very fast and kind of primitive but still a lot of fun for Sunday morning country back roads.
    • File Type: jpg RE.jpg (201.9 KB, 487 views)
    JEFF BRINTON
    ESR #1572
    1968 911N
    1974 914 2.0L
    2023 Macan
    SOLD - 1967 911N / 1968 911L / 1967 911N / 1969 912 / 1991 964 C2 / 2013 991.1 / 2008 987 Cayman

well, yes...the uk has a real phantastic vintage bike tradition...and this was kept alive most of the time..
    But with the relativ low costs.......

the one is from 64:
    one time opportunity
    porsche 1500, silvergray, built 52, defect engine. 500.- Deutschmarks to give price

the Norvin add is from 72
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

stumbled across an old external harddrive today ...some early digital photos of some of my bikes .... brings back memories

my first ever ride on an an fuel powered vehicle.. puch mv50 from my grand mother(pic stolen from the webs)
    my first own fuel powered ride: KTM quattro(4-speed) 50cc not the hottest ride when it comes to attracting the other gender...my john kocinski helmet did enhance my appearance...
    more successful(age 16) in that matter was my sachs cup replica(stolen pic)...110kmh( with tailwind) not 100% street legal i have to admit
    kawasaki F6...very weird motorcycle from the 70ies--the turbine inside the muffler is still a mystery.. ...payed 1000 austrian schillings (was my aunts ride) somewhen in the late 80ies with only 5000km on the odo and still on it`s first set of tires...sold for 3500öS a few hundred painful km later.
    `96 ktm duke that i slimmed down a bit with home made carbon fibre parts ( even some pre-preg autoclave parts went onto it--F1 tech back then)+ an engine tune up... about 640cc engine (straight out of KTM R&D department)instead of the 609cc+ktm power parts exhaust...lot`s of fun and lots of tickets

the orange in the background my very first "real" bike (´ 94duke ) i do not miss KTM quality stone age...but i still love this bike today.
    my first 911 (braunkupfer) and #1 930 (minervablue) in a very spacious facility that today is overcrowded.
    my first mountain bike also shown in the background (specialized stump jumper epic)
    and my GSXR 750?1000? can`t remember...never liked the monkey riding position.

I was thinking of getting a small motorcycle for back roads cruising, but all these testimonies about how its much less safe now has me changing my mine.

i do think in the years before it was much more dangerous...
    there had been legal drink&drive, no seatbelts, nearby no speedlimits ...
    no real safety for bikers..
    the hit and run statistics and sure the statistics for motorcylce
    accidents are declining since years

for me...it is more safe than before, because our competitive traffice
    sharers, aka cardrivers, are more aware...

and maybe...when we all had been young...
    we just did not care about: is it dangerous or not..we just did it..
    59 750 pre unit triton
    erwin_loves_polo

Quote Originally Posted by haul View Post
    i do think in the years before it was much more dangerous...
    there had been legal drink&drive, no seatbelts, nearby no speedlimits ...
    no real safety for bikers..
    the hit and run statistics and sure the statistics for motorcylce
    accidents are declining since years

for me...it is more safe than before, because our competitive traffice
    sharers, aka cardrivers, are more aware...

and maybe...when we all had been young...
    we just did not care about: is it dangerous or not..we just did it..
    And cellphone usage? I've seen cars in front of me just weave across a lane suddenly...

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    And cellphone usage? I've seen cars in front of me just weave across a lane suddenly...
    true...absolute desaster...
    59 750 pre unit triton
    erwin_loves_polo