Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CN36 opinions ? I'm super disappointed...

CN36 opinions ? I'm super disappointed...

After 25 yrs of "whatever you have that fits in that size" for my aircooled cars, I finally decided to try original mounts, namely the reissued Pirelli CN36 in 185/70/15 on fuchs... For looks and to see what if anything felt different... Normally I'm a michelin guy.

I could not be more disappointed... Granted it's pretty windy today so I reserve the right to upgrade my opinion 10% tomorrow, but so far, ugh... I was on falken 195/65s before, timed out, not worn out.
    - The new-old CN36 pirellis are LOUD as hell, rolling noise I've never heard before (tread?). Maybe it'll get better over time, but I doubt it.
    - The tread/rubber is the world champ at picking up gravel and little rocks where you have no idea they existed before. The car sounds like tinkerbell on cocaine, all-the-time...spitting out gravel on the underbody...
    - The stability is way less than before on the squarer modern tires (if worn). Those have a rounder shoulder and despite 185 vs 195 they feel subjectively like 155 tires on my old Peugeot - I was all over the road in sidewinds like never before. Even without the wind the car feels more skittish, and not in a good way...
    - Nothing changed, I put my car on the lift this morning, took the wheels off so they would not get a chance to wreck the car, remounted them. (Finally the balancing was crap over 70 but that's not the tires' fault, so I'll take it back...)

I thought those were "old look - modern tech".... Did I read that wrong ? They feel 10x worse than the 10y old hard-as-wood Falkens I had on it before in most measures, except grip - they do seem to grip pretty well in a take off situation or under braking... Can't be right... Anyone got positive experiences ? (stoddard supplied, brand new, just made this year per date code)
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

CN36's

"I have no dog in this fight"...but it sounds like you're running pretty high tire pressures?...I have them on my 356 and two longhoods and I love them...I had a similar reaction initially on my 356 and realized my problem was too high pressures...I run ~28psig+ front and ~30psig+ in the rear...on the 356 somewhat lower...hope it helps.../ Lars...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

Will be watching to see how this plays out, as this is the only negative review of the re-issued CN36 on a 911 that I've seen.

My first career having been in tires, I'm more than a touch sensitive not just to tire function and performance, but also appearance. I really dislike seeing modern-looking tires on vintage cars. So the CN36 and XWX are both on my list for next tires on my 72T.

Like the OP, I have historically preferred Michelin over Pirelli. The one actual test I've seen of the currently offered XWX and CN36 gave the edge in performance (especially in the rain) to Pirelli. (Michelin had slightly better ride comfort, though.) That test and other user reviews tends to make me look a bit harder at the Pirelli, but my personal observations for decades has been that Pirelli tires tend to be more susceptible to road hazard damage than many other makes. This was true throughout the 20+ years I worked in tires, and I've heard of plenty of recent examples of the same problems from modern Audi and Porsche owners.

So, not sold on the CN36 yet. Living in Western Oregon I do like the idea of better wet traction. But I don't have to drive in the rain anymore since I retired, so maybe XWX's will be fine.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

I'm old enough to have known these tires when they were available new.... And I hated them.
    I put them on my VW hot rod in the late '70's early '80's (the size were from a Saab)
    They looked cool but I found no confidents in them, and they got hard as rocks and unmanageable in a VERY short time.....

So, I didn't know what to expect when I drove Lars' '72S hot rod pictured above with the 'new' CN36 setup...

Well that was then... and now is now

When I pushed them pretty hard up in our local hills I was VERY pleasantly surprised with their feel and dry weather traction … (no chance to try them in the wet)
    They only looked like the cool crappy tries 40 odd years ago... I LOVED THEM !!!

I'm not sure whatsup with yours Greg.. But would, and have, recommended them to all who's thinking about it...

Please keep us posted...

cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    I put them on my VW hot rod in the late '70's early '80's (the size were from a Saab)
    I remember those. 175/70HR15 from 99EMS. Saab moved to 195/60VR15 P6 on the first Turbos...
    - Arne

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

I put them on my RS, and after a few miles of getting used to the feel...I LOVED them. It felt like the car was riding and handling the way it was MEANT to....when new. Just glided over the street....
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

i have a set on my 1972 911. I run RS wheel sizes.

I did notice they pick up the gravel where my 20 year tires did not...
    I found them to have nice grip and and feel confident on the sky 2 sky highway at strong pace.

They look great in period.

I typically do not bother driving in the rain and my 911 is already loud so road noise would be hard to detect.

I would buy them again depending on the application.
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

Always had thought of them, but still so very statisfied with my Continental tires......
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

They were expensive way back in the late 70's

Name:  20200530_150520_0001.jpg
Views: 2616
Size:  114.5 KB
    David C. Allen
    1970 911T 2.2

Interesting to note that all who have posted here who like the CN36 have (or have driven) RS sizes (215/60 on the rear). Anyone have personal experience of the re-issues with all four 185/70s?
    - Arne