Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: CN36 opinions ? I'm super disappointed...

Although I doubt it’ll get traction I’m Ok with the suggestion starting a separate thread about first use of cn36 on longhood 911

However for me the assumption that 185 70 speed rating VR 15 was fitted to longhood before the RS is certainly far from proven. The tyre came out in late sixties no dispute but I’ve not yet seen evidence it was used on 911 then. Some emerging evidence suggests maybe not used before model year 72 or maybe later but I don’t know.

My gut feel is that we will see examples of cars with cn36 185/70 VR15 before end of longhood but only really starting around the time of RS so appearing winter or spring 73 of 73 but it’ll be interesting to see what emerges

Obviously that does not affect driving impression of today but it may become material if anyone considering buying today’s offering is influenced to buy it because they think it was cn36 the factory fitted on their car new. Not sure how much that is a factor but it is mentioned in thread. For that reason the data points I took the trouble to find and share to challenge the inference that cn36 was fitted to a MY 70 car on basis of those word “Pirelli” in a kardex should remain imo. I’m happy to be corrected and learn as frankly either way doesn’t affect me ... but think the ESR should try to establish in specific facts and evidence on such things wherever possible.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 05-31-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Heard From Milan

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . . back in Milan . . .

. . . pinged Pirelli . . .

See what they say

'. . . Hello Rick, thanks for reaching out and considering Pirelli Classic Tires. Classic tires are managed by specialty dealers and we suggest you reach out to Tire Rack and Longstone Tire for fitment information.

Kindest regards,

Pirelli Consumer Affairs
    . . .'

Hhh

Hey! --- at least they answered . . .

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    '. . . Hello Rick, thanks for reaching out and considering Pirelli Classic Tires. Classic tires are managed by specialty dealers and we suggest you reach out to Tire Rack and Longstone Tire for fitment information.

Kindest regards,

Pirelli Consumer Affairs
    . . .'

Hhh

Hey! --- at least they answered . . .
    So, basically they said nothin'. Don'tcha love modern corporate engagement? You MATTER to us!
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

As mentioned I wrote to Pirelli on a different point about these CN36 tyre several months ago and got similar reply:

“Good Afternoon,
    Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, we no longer sell the classic tyre range therefore, I do not have access to this information. I would suggest contacting a company called Longstone Tyres”

No big deal because unless they had provided evidence from their archives of 69-73 not sure I’d have believed corporate Pirelli consumer affairs agent would really know the details these days.

While I respect and very much appreciate Longstone As classic tyre supplier and have previously thanked them for actively working to ensure supply various classic tyres for our old cars they weren’t around back in 69-73. So would want to see in period evidence on question. Maybe Dugald who contributes here from time to time has some old Pirelli references with relevant data? Obviously the reissued cn36 tyres available through them will fit and do a great job and later fittment guides are bound to show this cover which became popular for 911 and Turbo for a period, but that not the same as being the factory original fit before MY73.

As stated I don’t mind what the data shows either way but still curious.

Not sure Porsche AG today are worth bothering with on detailed matters of originality even though answer is probably in their archive which from RS books and Carrera 2.7 do have dated production running change information on stuff like this.

I suspect among the collective knowledge and literature collections of ESR we have the answer. After all we know font shape / sizes and machining of ends of generic wrenches Porsche worker lobbed in toolkit by era for crying out loud ... the covers fitted to road wheels that affected ride handling and cornering G .. not so much apparently.

Now where did I mislay that other Veith Pirelli booklet who were the German plant back then ...answer maybe a few feet from me in that niche old booklet but still haven’t located it. Other thread started for historical input if folks wish.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-03-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Ok so I started this and should report I feel a bit better about them now... They're not my first choice still but basically out of sheer bad luck my first long drive with them was obviously on unscrubbed tires but with slightly higher pressures (+3 psi from ideal), a near empty fuel tank, and lots of wind gusts... Also there was a definite imbalance at freeway speeds but I did not hold that against them. The car was all over the road.... Now though, I've scrubbed the heck out of them for a few days, lowered pressure to 28/32 cold, filled up the tank to the brim, and there's no wind... It's much better. They are grippy, I will give them that, a very soft rubber and extremely grippy despite the smaller size from what I am used to.

The overall feel is different from a modern square tire, I still feel the front end is more nervous than on modern tires, but not crazily so, there's more sidewall flex on turn in and also the tire design is more rounded vs a more square modern tire so I feel a little longer pause when turning hard, before it "sets" (seat of my pants, hard to explain)... and also on th epositive side a little more shock absorption obviously (taller sidewall).

Honestly, I did this purely for looks and out of curiosity to see what it was like on OEM tires (assuming they were OEM, gotta catch up with the above mess I created, they're sold as such here and there but I don't mean they were) but I would not do it again. The cost is twice that of modern tires and I really do like slightly fatter rear end, looks wise. I went back to get the fronts re-balanced - it shook at 70 mph - the tech said one wheel was off by half a gram. Now it's perfect. I sincerely doubt *I* can feel 1/2 gram of weight so I think he was blowing smoke up my exhaust and a weight fell off, but in the end, they're "OK" tires, grippy, thought I should reverse myself a bit - was probably a combination of unfavorable factors. I still wish I'd bought michelins and 205 rears, but hey...
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

So, I'm left wondering, is there another tire out right know that comes close to the original size, that can compare or exceed the performance of the cn36? At least if I'd like a somewhat stock look (not more than .5" shorter). I know stickey 50 series 15" tires exist but the bride would hate the ride.
    Starting to look like this is king of the hill right now.

Quote Originally Posted by RSRGuy3 View Post
    So, I'm left wondering, is there another tire out right know that comes close to the original size, that can compare or exceed the performance of the cn36? At least if I'd like a somewhat stock look (not more than .5" shorter). I know stickey 50 series 15" tires exist but the bride would hate the ride.
    There are unsubstantiated (so far) reports that the Dunlop Sport Classic in the stock Porsche sizes might be equal or perhaps even better than the CN36. See this thread - https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...s-any-feedback
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by RSRGuy3 View Post
    The Avon CR6ZZ in 185/70R15 will definitely do so, and particularly in the softest compound. Probably the highest performing road-legal option in period sizes, but it's expensive. If you want period-ish looks and are willing to go a bit (or a lot) wider, BFG Radial T/A in 195/60R15 or 205/60R15 could be an option at more palatable prices.

I am curious about the new N-spec Dunlop, and that thread Arne pointed to in post #47 is a good one but not much in the way of real-world experiences of photos…yet.

The avons look like a solid contender to the cn36, and at a slightly lower(barely) cost.. Has anyone thrown caution to the wind and used the hoosier dot tires? For my driving it looks like it could work, I'm guessing in the hard compound it'd be still be hard pressed to get 7-8k miles.
    Does anyone have back to back experience with any of these and the cn36....

You can also consider the P6000 in 185/70. The CN36 looks better but reportedly the P6000 is the better tire (I only have P6000 experience in 195/65).
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833