Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: CN36 opinions ? I'm super disappointed...

After having Avons on my '73 for about 7 years I've switched to XWX. Love them so far. They are plenty sticky and ride quality is better than the Avons. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of the Avons, but wanted something different and my shop (JWE) wasn't a fan of the Avons. Apparently they're a bear to get balanced well, which I've also heard from others. The shop said that they needed a truck load of Avons to find 4 that would balance well for a street car.
    From my own experience, the Avons developed flat spots after about 4 years on the car with about 1,500 driving miles per year. Clearly I needed to drive the car more. When I had the Avons removed, there were big splits on the inside of the tire casing/sidewall that weren't at all visible on the exterior. Super scary and dangerous. My lesson, drive the car more, and swap out the tires sooner.

Also, used to drive the Hoosiers on a SWB about 25 years ago. Talk about picking up rocks!
    Last edited by kentf14; 08-24-2020 at 06:34 PM.
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

^ Some interesting—and disturbing—experience above. The crew at JWE certainly know their stuff, and unfortunate to hear about the balancing issues, flat spots, and internal splits. Haven't had any balancing issues, nor any flat-spotting (and my car sits more than I would like it to in this season of life), but the internal cuts are very creepy indeed.

Also very interesting that you're happy with the XWXs. I wonder if they have been improved?

Pirelli P6000 +1
    Iain

1970 911E coupe conda green
    2018 911 GTS coupe silver
    Early S Reg #3880

Have run Pirelli P6000 on an SC before, loved them. Did not like reissued cinturatos on my '65 in 165 size but XWX have a huge thumbs up from me, quiet , grippy and not nervous at any speed.

P6000's are probably fine, other than being too ugly to use on a vintage car. In my opinion, of course.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Installed the CN36's on my '70S, and have been extremely pleased with the look and performance.
    Did the SCM Tour in the Pacific Northwest last July, and they were flawless.
    Now also have them on my 150hp, Willhoit engined, '59 356A.
    Happy customer.

Older thread..new question. I am ready for tires for my 73S. It came from the factory w Michelins per the window sticker and COA. I can’t decide if I should go w Michelin or Pirelli CN36. I like the look of the CN36 better, but my anal side is making me second guess about the Michelin. I run 7” Fuchs. Looking at the 185/70/15 size. These tires are so expensive I don’t want to make a mistake. They will age out long before they wear out. Sadly I probably only put 1000 miles a year on my car. Help!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Mark... Please read my post #4 ...

Since that post I've driven another with the same 'new CN36's and my impression is the same... I REALLY like'm

BTW - My 73 came with XWX'x as well (still have the original spare) ... At this point 50 years on... we are the only tire police
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Mark... Please read my post #4 ...

Since that post I've driven another with the same 'new CN36's and my impression is the same... I REALLY like'm

BTW - My 73 came with XWX'x as well (still have the original spare) ... At this point 50 years on... we are the only tire police
    There was a recent tyre comparasin listed in another post here on the remake tyres for our Porsches Michelin v CN 36 v something else

CN 36 won hands down, Michelin won no friends for no longer being made in their country of origin.

I just bought 4 new CN36's to replace 4 new Michelins after reading the reviews, expensive I know but the only things touching the road.
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

I had the CN36 put on my S after its freshening following an over 30 year sleep (yes, 3 decades). Here are my thoughts and experiences…

Pros:

- Very correct appearance
    - Very comfortable on my weekly warmup drives
    - Great on the mountain twisties when I’m behaving myself in a group

Cons:

- Not so great at the limit. These 185/70-15 tires on stock 6x15 Fuchs have a pretty thin tread profile and are not sticky (by design). Easy to find the limit in a sharp corner or when Autocrossing. Would be a kick to try out on a track, though.

Hoping this helps. I’m thinking of getting something slightly wider and more sticky for Autocrossing and dusting off my old 7x15 rims.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100