Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Never seen this before

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    I don’t like Rudges in 356’s.

They take away from the lines of the car.
    And they weigh so much more as to affect handling.
    No one ever used them to race either.
    Not to mention they are suspect in regular use.

I do believe they look good on 300SL Gullwings.
    If they were good enough for Steve McQueen, they are good enough for me.

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    If they were good enough for Steve McQueen, they are good enough for me.

---Adam
    That's fine. People pay a lot for his cars to get some of that "king of cool" rubbing off on them. I definitely like his style as well.

He probably liked the looks too and didn't mind that they made the car handle worse. Of course he never raced it either, probably because he wasn't a car racer.

I'd pay a premium to have them on a car that showed them on the kardex, but I wouldn't add them to a car that wasn't so originally equipped from the factory.

Talking

That's fine. People pay a lot for his cars to get some of that "king of cool" rubbing off on them. I definitely like his style as well.

He probably liked the looks too and didn't mind that they made the car handle worse. Of course he never raced it either, probably because he wasn't a car racer.

I'd pay a premium to have them on a car that showed them on the kardex, but I wouldn't add them to a car that wasn't so originally equipped from the factory.
    They are heavier, that much is true. But I did win my class! (Did I mention I was the only 356 there that day?)

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!

Honest question: Did any convertible D (which I think is a fantastic car) have Rudge's from the factory? I know of coupes, speedsters, and cabriolets that have them originally installed. I haven't heard of any convertible D with them on the bill of sale or kardex, but it's possible so I am curious?

Honest question: Did any convertible D (which I think is a fantastic car) have Rudge's from the factory? I know of coupes, speedsters, and cabriolets that have them originally installed. I haven't heard of any convertible D with them on the bill of sale or kardex, but it's possible so I am curious?
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...dwZmx3dVAzY3RR

Quote Originally Posted by gulf908 View Post
    my old mechanic called the Rudge wheels 'England's revenge on Germany'
    on a club drive day some years ago,I recall searching for 5 minutes for a spinner that had escaped into the roadside grass from a '58 speedster
    fortunately someone found it and the local snakes weren't holding it for ransom !
    I don't know how the owners / drivers can trust these wheels
    they look the goods,but . . .

cheers
    Dennis
    I've had one loosen up once, didn't lose it. The trick is to get the tool, not rely on the hammer. The tool is amazing, and a lot less damaging to the spinners.

---Adam

Thank you. I would assume there is at least one but good to know for sure. Optioned our as a pretty heavy (non race) car.

Also typical Porsche mistakes: Frendo brake linings not Frendo brake lights.

is this our Steven ?
    no idea where I got this from or where it was . . .

cheers
    Dennis
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Quote Originally Posted by gulf908 View Post
    I don't know how the owners / drivers can trust these wheels. They look the goods,but . . . cheers Dennis
    Not to mention they are suspect in regular use. I do believe they look good on 300SL Gullwings.
    I have had no problems with the Rudge hubs/wheels during the past 56 years.
    Last edited by ejboyd5; 06-03-2020 at 03:15 AM.

Mercedes-Benz and John Fitch didn't seem to have any Rudge problems either.