Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First use date of Pirelli CN36 185 70 VR speed rating on longhoods before used in RS

If there is any doubt that the Pirelli Cinturato CN36 used on 911 was initially tube type in the period 1972 to the change to tubeless in 1974 this is from a roadtest of an RS from the first 100 vin produced in calendar 1972. Published in spring 73. Tube type even on 60 profile like the old spare set I have From wrk 40 of 1974 (also note reference rims 6&7s)

Name:  E5D24477-5D41-4DD2-9882-D1265CA9AE2A.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  39.7 KB
    Name:  D67B3CA7-DC52-49F7-B5F2-C5573B4CB36A.jpeg
Views: 335
Size:  124.2 KB
    This previous practice is probably not the latest recommendation so consult with suitably qualified expert on safety critical matters like configuration of tyre and tube etc

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-09-2020 at 07:19 AM.

'Old' Spares . . .

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    . . . in the period 1972 to the change to tubeless in 1974 . . . even on 60 profile like the old spare set I have . . .

Hhh --- reminds me of another bit I wished I'd kept . . .

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    . . .

4) . . . getting correct-size Vredesteins mounted, by Aaron and the Guys at Zuffenhaus

5) XZX Michelin Spare was so old and stiff, that it had to be cut off --- still had a tube in it!
    . . .

Well --- have a picture, anyway . . .

. . . tube was still good, too!

Attached Images Attached Images  

More 'Old' Spares

. . .

. . . now --- back to 911MRP's regularly scheduled obsession

Attached Images Attached Images     

Taking time to share information from personal collection of reference information and work with other contributors on a thread investigate a point of originality that was unclear or things that probably being misinterpreted ... is that now a problem on ESR? ... Is investigating things by sharing evidence some of which is new to forum now something that receives snide remarks?

Taking time to share information from personal collection of reference information and work with other contributors on a thread investigate a point of originality that was unclear or things that probably being misinterpreted ... is that now a problem on ESR? ... Is investigating things by sharing evidence some of which is new to forum now something that receives snide remarks on this forum?
    He was ribbing ya. Did you catch the eyewink emoji? He wasn’t being snide and he’s a major lover of minutia
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Sorry-Sorry . . .

. . . Taking time to share information . . . investigating things by sharing evidence some of which is new to forum now something that receives snide remarks? . . .
    . . . just joshing, Steve . . .

. . . I mean --- where else could any of us find/share/bother with this kinda stuff?

Thanks for the update Arne.

If I’m reading photo correctly another veith pirelli cn72 (not cn36) that might be factory original fitted to a 911 or at least a very early replacement

So far the ( limited) evidence surfacing is pointing more towards CN72 being the type Pirelli used into longhood era on My 72 or later even though cn36 type paralleled the CN72 maybe the former not available in the specific 1857015 VR format and speed rating required for 911?

Clearly cn36 185 70 vr 15 was available for front 6 inch fuchs of every RS by the winter of calendar 72 .. but before that ?

Steve
    Reviving this thread.

I've just looked at the spare wheel/tyre of my car.

Car is '70 (production completion date Dec '69 according to the CoA.)

The deep six Fuchs is dated 1/70. Is it normal for wheels to be dated later than build date of the car?

The tyre is Veith Pirelli CN72 185/70VR15. I can't find any date codes at all. When did tyres start getting date codes?
    The CoA does not mention Pirelli.
    Why is there an imprint FOR USA ONLY on the sidewall?
    Last edited by blue72s; 03-01-2023 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blue72s View Post
    The deep six Fuchs is dated 1/70. Is it normal for wheels to be dated later than build date of the car?
    Where is davep when we need him?

Hard to see how factory fitted original wheels wheels would post date build unless changed immediately for some reason before car being shipped. But why do that if just stock wheel? I can see plenty reasons why wheels on car would post date build if they’re not original factory fitted.

Don’t know about MY 70 deep 6 but the wheels stamps on my MY 73 car the wheels certainly predate the build date. I know the exact build completion date to the exact day month year (1972) from factory papers and the car’s wheels are distinctive and correct being blue RS wheels with original paint so pretty sure they are original ones to car. Stamps on Fuchs predate.

I have vintage for show German made Pirelli cn36 Rayon belted tube type from early 70s that I’ve posted picture of elsewhere and they don’t say for USA only. Is the old tyre tube type or tubeless — that might be a clue as tubeless was after long-hood era
    Last edited by 911MRP; 03-03-2023 at 02:29 PM.

Is the old tyre tube type or tubeless — that might be a clue as tubeless was after long-hood era
    It's tube type. I'll post pics tomorrow.

p.s.
    Does 1/70 stamp on Fuchs mean first week of 1970?