Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for SWB orange heater tube

Source for SWB orange heater tube

Anyone know of a source for the orange foam heater tube on SWB cars please?
    Clyde Boyer

1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed
    1973 2.4E Coupe RHD Aussie 5 speed my first ever 911 (1995)

Early S Registry Member #294
    First Aussie R Gruppe Member #366
    TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Stoddard has them, about $60 bucks.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Thanks Russ, much appreciated.
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    Stoddard has them, about $60 bucks.
    And for that money you get something which does not look like the original despite the grotesque price

HA! yes, but correct enough for 90% of the owners!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    And for that money you get something which does not look like the original despite the grotesque price
    any other options then???
    Clyde Boyer

TYP 901 Register Inc #6

Quote Originally Posted by BOYER73S View Post
    any other options then???
    Go down to your local airport and find a maintenance facility. Ask them for a foot long piece of Scat 10 hose (Aircraft heater hose). Worst case is that you will have to buy a a 11 foot long piece and cut it into 1 foot long sections. You will get 11 911 heater hoses for about $10.00 each.

Regards

Jim
    PS: Don't ask me why they come in 11 foot lengths. They just do.

I don't disagree that the price is ludicrous, but there really isn't an option that's 100% like original. For that matter though, all the OG tubing I've seen is discolored from 50 years of livin' in an engine bay.
    Who has a fresh NOS piece to compare color, and who else might know the difference? Ed is right, 90% of us won't know or care.

First time I faked these tubes using foam plumbing insulation rattle-canned with pumpkin Krylon. Looked pretty snazzy.

Jim, are you sure? SCAT 10 hose is wire-reinforced silicone duct like you'd use for race car brakes or cabin ventilation.

EDIT: Just found something that looks good and at $88 for 60 (oops!) INCHES a MUCH better price than Stoddard. https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...hoCPocQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by Bullethead; 06-01-2020 at 06:00 PM.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

But Russ, I think that is 60 inches, not 60 feet. Still, a better deal than Stoddard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    I don't disagree that the price is ludicrous, but there really isn't an option that's 100% like original. For that matter though, all the OG tubing I've seen is discolored from 50 years of livin' in an engine bay.
    Who has a fresh NOS piece to compare color, and who else might know the difference? Ed is right, 90% of us won't know or care.

First time I faked these tubes using foam plumbing insulation rattle-canned with pumpkin Krylon. Looked pretty snazzy.

Jim, are you sure? SCAT 10 hose is wire-reinforced silicone duct like you'd use for race car brakes or cabin ventilation.

EDIT: Just found something that looks good and at $88 for 60 (oops!) INCHES a MUCH better price than Stoddard. https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...hoCPocQAvD_BwE
    Yes, Russ. It is wire reinforced and the exact same diameter as what is used in 911s. Oh yea, it is orange and is not that far off from the OE stuff that was probably sourced from the Aviation Industry in the first place. Most General Aviation light twin Airplanes use lots of the stuff to duct their cabin gas heaters. I have bought hundreds of feet of the stuff in the last 50 plus years for use in 911s and 912s.

Regards

Jim