Thread: Seeking electrical scholarship re Hazard/Emergency Flashers '68

Seeking electrical scholarship re Hazard/Emergency Flashers '68

I am reaching out to the community for wisdom and scholarship regarding the Emergency flashers for a '68. Based on my review of historic threads, it looks like I'm not the only doofus with this problem, so here goes....

The corner lights and turn signals all work correctly, but the Emergency Flashers do not work. (only the front right flashes.)

The wiring diagram clearly shows "Emergency Flasher System" with 3 gray boxes. One gray box shows posts: S, L, R, and 30. The second gray box shows posts 30, 86, 85, and 87a.

The 3rd gray box has a brown, white/red, and blue/yellow wires (but no posts marked).

So, my first question is, "What is the 3rd box? and where do i find it on the car?"

The wiring diagram also shows that the Emergency Flashers are connected via red wire to a second gray box marked "Flasher," with posts 49, 49a and "K". This flasher is connected to the turn signal lights on the dash, plus a black/green/white wire that is not very clear.

Is that gray box the flasher located behind the foot board?

If not, what is it? Where is it?

The other threads I've reviewed seem to show that others have had similar experience, except maybe in slightly different configurations, and the outcomes seem to be inconsistent. I'm not good with electricity, but this seems a good way to learn ... I suppose.

Thanks for any education.

All the relays in question are under the floor board on the drivers side.

The emergency flasher relay is for the 4 corner flashing (S, L, R, and 30) that I replaced in my thread with the VW relay.

The 2nd relay is the W595A that flashes the tachometer left/right arrows (30, 86, 85, and 87a).

The 3rd relay is the blinker flasher (49, 49a and "K"). If your blinkers work like you say forget about this one.

I am no expert, so if I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Okay, we have a working theory. I will start digging for the VW part. I'll keep you posted.

Thank you.