Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 71 911E diving right

71 911E diving right

Okay, being humbled again. Started with Koni shocks front and rear, set soft, 6" Fuchs, prior to alignment the car was scary to drive fast, sweeping right hand turns with a little throttle being fed in the car seemed to dart to the right, rear seemed like it wanted to come around, front sway, no rear swaybar.
    Had the car aligned, stiffened up the rears to full stiff, installed a tarette rear sway bar, same issue. Installed a wider set of fuchs, 7" and proven tires, same issue. Unsafe to drive hard or even 6/10.
    Question what to check next, I'm leaning toward a fractured rear torsion bar but could use your help.

So, was the car ever 'right' since you've had it? (if a torsion bar fractures, it is broken, car will be low on that side) Has car ever been corner balanced?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I could say they same of my 71 coupe.
    It was very scary over 60. And very rough. No travel.
    I just keep working it and trying things.

On the front replaced front bushings, did turbo tie rods. Rebuild the steering twice,
    Replaced the bearing in the steering rack. Tried two greases.
    Near zero toe. 6 degrees caster, 1 .5 camber
    On kyb, but now koni, softest settings. 15mm sway on front.

In the rear. New bushings. On kyb. And zero toe and 1 degree neg camber.
    (Today I was putting koni on the rears)

But it was still terrible.

Thats the background.
    My solution was the front bushings. They were waaay too tight.
    If I lifted the front wheel with a 2x4 lever....it wouldn't drop back down.
    So I modified the bushings. Till it had little resistance.
    (If you disconnect the front struts. And the front torsions, and the wheel can't be lifted, you got a problem)
    That made a WORLD of difference. Now the car almost rides new.

But I think the kyb rears are bouncy. So will try soft koni.

Also, the steering rack has to be super smooth on a bench.
    It wears at certain teeth. And makes the steering notchy. And darty.
    Last edited by Scott A; 06-01-2020 at 05:11 PM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Ed, I have not corner balanced the car yet. I must admit that I never drove the car until I got it back from the paint shop. Purchased in pieces from a very nice guy in Santa Barbara. I think several people have owned the car over the years, but never drove the car. Of record, I'm the second owner.
    Corner balance next, if that doesn't help, starting over from scratch. Thanks guys.

Rusty thats a bummer.
    My 72 T coupe was twitchy above sixty, replaced f/r bushings as well as axle shafts, not for that reason but because the boots were torn and it was easier to replace rather than rebuild, repacked front bearings and replaced a bad rear bearing, I thought I needed a alignment, probably still do, but now the twitchy is gone, rock sold at 80 plus doing some pretty good corners. One of the biggest thrills in owning one of these cars is the go kart cornering (my opinion) Ohhh I also did a thousand dollars worth of stuff not relating to the suspension, maybe the car was giving me good juju for fixing all that other stuff.

Name:  D19B5840-F249-4C83-9EC4-195B57F8F675.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  116.3 KBName:  D19B5840-F249-4C83-9EC4-195B57F8F675.jpg
Size:  116.3 KBName:  D19B5840-F249-4C83-9EC4-195B57F8F675.jpg
Size:  116.3 KB
    Everything look normal regarding alignment?

By my eye. Those numbers look fine.

1. I found one more issue with my car. A bent rim.
    Which was hard to detect at first.

2. But by far, my best improvement came from reworking my front bushings.
    They need to move as easy as elephant racing parts.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

An 1/8" of toe-in per wheel in the rear??
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I just spent 15 minutes responding to the thread that I started only to be informed that I had to refresh. BS

Trying again. Ed, suggestion of rear wheel alignment. Also found right rear trailing arm with a different lower shock mount offset. What changed between 71 and 72 911?
    Had typed more but will come back later with other things I found.
    Also could use a Koni front left strut.
    thanks,
    Rusty