Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rear view mirror windshield, glue or tape?

Quote Originally Posted by 911+1 View Post
    On my 74 the mirror uses the adhesive tape. The tape pad sits in a recess on the mirror base. Sometimes installers grind down the walls of the recess in order to use glue. If this is the case, the mirror will vibrate a bit using the adhesive pad. The sides of the recess stabilize the mirror against the windshield. I’ve bought a couple of used mirrors that were useless because of this modification.
    Grinding the pad to use glue is a VERY BAD IDEA!!!!! and it is done all the time. You risk breaking the windshield during rapid temperature changes. The foot is too large to be glued to the windshield. When Porsche started gluing the foot to the windshield the contact area was a much smaller circular disc. I have sold many windshields to people that thought glue was a good idea. True, the double sided rubber pads sold by Porsche and many aftermarket suppliers were simply cut from a 3M product.
    Pro tip #1: The tape always had different colors on either side. One side was black. The "colored" (red when they were first introduced) side always goes against the glass.
    Pro tip # 2. Buy two or three and put the extras in your glove box. You will need one upon the change of seasons.
    Pro tip #3. Don't grind the edges off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Grinding the pad to use glue is a VERY BAD IDEA!!!!! and it is done all the time. You risk breaking the windshield during rapid temperature changes. The foot is too large to be glued to the windshield. When Porsche started gluing the foot to the windshield the contact area was a much smaller circular disc. I have sold many windshields to people that thought glue was a good idea. True, the double sided rubber pads sold by Porsche and many aftermarket suppliers were simply cut from a 3M product.
    Pro tip #1: The tape always had different colors on either side. One side was black. The "colored" (red when they were first introduced) side always goes against the glass.
    Pro tip # 2. Buy two or three and put the extras in your glove box. You will need one upon the change of seasons.
    Pro tip #3. Don't grind the edges off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks for these notes. My base had the edge ground off and was previously glued...I'll have to hunt another base down which retains its edge.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

I clean off the bottom of my base with lacquer thinner each time... The pad is usually cut a little more then a 1/16 within the boarder of the base. I apply the pad to the base, and take a black Sharpie the black out the margin of the base to the pad so that clean base boarder doesn't show on the front side of the windshield....

cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

The sharpie is a good trick and I do the same but for the best results you should apply the sticky pad to the windshield FIRST and press firmly to get rid of any air bubbles. Once the pad is cleanly attached to the windshield, remove the remaining protective film on the pad and press the mirror base onto the pad/windshield. Doing the reverse (attaching it the sticky pad to the mirror base first then pressing it onto the windshield) runs the risk of unsightly air bubbles being trapped under the pad and visible from outside the car looking through the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    The sharpie is a good trick and I do the same but for the best results you should apply the sticky pad to the windshield FIRST and press firmly to get rid of any air bubbles. Once the pad is cleanly attached to the windshield, remove the remaining protective film on the pad and press the mirror base onto the pad/windshield. Doing the reverse (attaching it the sticky pad to the mirror base first then pressing it onto the windshield) runs the risk of unsightly air bubbles being trapped under the pad and visible from outside the car looking through the glass.
    +1. Should you ignore this advise and get air bubbles, park pointing towards the sun and then push to try remove them after things heat up. But not too hard, those windshields aren't so hard to crack. Even the brand new ones.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    I clean off the bottom of my base with lacquer thinner each time... The pad is usually cut a little more then a 1/16 within the boarder of the base. I apply the pad to the base, and take a black Sharpie the black out the margin of the base to the pad so that clean base boarder doesn't show on the front side of the windshield....

cm

Great advice, Chuck
    I use a Sharpie too but in a different way. I get in the car, lower the sun visors and position the mirror using the sun visors as a guide. I, then have another person draw the outline of the base on the outside of the windshield with the Sharpie. I now know just where to place the mirror base when it is time to stick it to the glass as you only get one chance to get it right.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    I did this too, only to later discover it is a 3M pad that costs 2 bucks for a piece that could make several pads. Oh well.

BTW, here is an installation hint. Put both your visors down and then centre the mirror mount in the cutout space. I will look perfect and the visors will work properly.

Ravi
    Hi my mirror fell off yesterday -- do you have info on the 3M pad? Thanks!
    73 911S Targa

You can buy a 2 inch by 10 foot roll of the 3m VHB in black on Amazon for $21.99. You'll have enough for life. Simple
    72S, 72T now ST

Thank you!
    73 911S Targa