Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: '73 Fog Light Switch

73 was left to right: window-fog-lighter
    -72 was left to right: fog-lighter-window

the relay harness has 6 cables
    -red-blank end-connected to fuse 2

-blue/white- ground, depends on country

-pair white/yellow and white/green with blank ends, short cables running to fuse 3/7 and 8

-pair white/yellow and white each with female connectors, long cables running to the switch

The long and the short white/yellow are directly connected and just routed though the relay base from fuse 3/7 to the switch.

the bag contains

a brown ground cable with a female connector and a "Thief" connector with female and male, it is used for the switch
    2 cable shoes and 2 washers are for the lights or the ground close to the battery
    3x90° brackets and 2 sleeves- I guess it is for the lights
    Last edited by dirk07; 07-10-2020 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirk07 View Post
    -blue/white- ground, depends on country
    Dirk,

Thanks. How would the relay be grounded on a German delivered car?

Dave
    Dave Reu
    Member #3949
    1973 Silver Metallic 911S

Just grounded to the drivers side chassis ground next to the batterie.

Dave, the ground is shown in Post 24. As you previous requested. And the Blue/white wire will not reach there. You need to connect to a brown or brown/white extension piece that terminates in a ring connector. As shown in Post #24.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Ravi,

Your connection in post #24 and what Dirk describes are the same and illustrated below on the left. However, the USA connection is "different" and illustrated as such in the Porsche supplement below right.

What I don't understand is the USA connection to ground. Unless I am reading it incorrectly, it appear as if ground is connected to the power coming into the high beams in fuse box II, which doesn't make sense to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dave Reu
    Member #3949

NO! The USA connection goes to ground, not the 12V from headlight relay side of Fuse 1 and 2. Exactly like Germany. I have never understood the logic of that particular wiring diagram. If you connect blue/white to ground and the high beam fuses, you will melt a switch or harness.

As I have said, blue/white to ground. That’s it. The USA aspect is dealt with by the yellow/white being on the fused low beam circuit. This ensures the fogs only work on low beam and not high beam and not when the corner lights only are on (1st position of light switch). If you put the yellow/white on fuse 7, then the fogs can be used with the corner (parking) lights, high or low beam, and if you put the yellow/white on fuse 5 in the upper fusebox (Fusebox I), then your fogs will function as DRLs and go on and off with the ignition if you leave the fog switch pulled out.

I honestly don’t know how to make this clearer.
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 07-10-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Ravi,

It’s clear. As you mentioned, my confusion is with the logic printed in the Porsche manual. I’ll get it wired up.

Thanks
    Dave
    Dave Reu
    Member #3949

For what its worth here is how I've wired my Cibie hood lights with a dash switch to operate the lights, and if switch is on then they will come on with the high beams. Term. 30 of relay to fuse 2 upper panel. term. 85 to ground stud above battery. #86 to input side of dash switch. #87 to input side of #8 fuse lower box. return side of dash switch #1 input side lower fuse box.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Dave,

Studying the original version of that wiring diagram in the workshop manuals, I believe the blue/white is a dashed line connection to ground for USA, matching the dashed white/yellow to low beams fuse #3. The alternative is solid blue/white to the high beam fuse matching the solid yellow/white to the license plate light fuse #7.

So what’s the difference? USA config only allows fogs to work when the low beam is on. Other config allows fog lights on when the parking light OR low beams are on. It works because the blue/white to fuse #1 is grounded through the high beam filaments under normal conditions of parking lights or low beam on. When high beams are on, the fog light relay has 12V on both sides of its solenoid, so the solenoid isn’t activated any more and hence the fogs go off.

That connection at fuse #1 for the blue/white is an either/or thing not both connection. To match the yellow/white solid and dashed options.

Ed’s wiring appears to be for driving lights. Ignore for this discussion.
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 07-12-2020 at 04:16 AM.

You're right Ravi, I was looking at his first post where he mentions driving light switch, guess it depends on your definition of driving light.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.