Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: '73 Fog Light Switch

Hmmm, Fasten Seat Belt indicator... Could this be a US vs ROW thing??? I'm not as up on the 72-73s but, I thought the dash switch layout was the same. Looking a little closer at Dave's pic, that lighter looks awfully close to the glove box..

72 to 73 change?
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Michael,

From photo research (sorry some are blurry) it seems like for '73 a typical configuration would be:

Left = Rear Window Heater
    Middle = Fog Lights
    Right = Lighter

Name:  Switch configuration.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  117.3 KB

Possibly a change from 72?

Brake warning indicator blinks in red here.

Name:  brake warning light.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  37.4 KB

Well, looks like the addition of the seat belt light is a change that happened during the 72MY production as I've found several examples of EARLY 72 VINs (including the The Cunningham 72S (picture Dave posted courtesy of Longballa/Wells) with the lighter in the center position like the 69-71 cars. During 72MY run appears that the switches/lighter shifted left, even on those 72 cars not sporting the seat belt warning light. Interestingly, unlike the earlier cars the later 72 dash doesn't look like it automatically had a hole for the fogs as there are multiple 72s I found with no fogs and no plugged hole like was done 69-71.

Sorry to hijack Dave but, I was intrigued that I hadn't picked up on this mid year change before. So, IMO carry on locating an early defroster switch which is basically the same as an early fog light switch. Should have a light rod with a yellow tip. Repaint the tip green and add the rubber covered knob with whatever symbol you want and Bob's your Uncle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

An update on this project. Found the wiring to be "odd", it's no wonder the switch was getting hot. So I've decided to look for a fog light wiring harness with a relay and do it right. Hence my WTB: PN 911 612 027 00 add.

Wiring currently: Hot coming from the #6 windshield wiper/washer slot?

Name:  Fog Switch Wiring.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  186.7 KB

Acquired a couple of switches now. I think I'm starting to agree with 911MRP, the switches are more elegant without the rubber. However, I will likely end up with the rubber since it will match what I have for this US model. The two switches on the left are 914 613 641 10. Only one bezel. Still don't know how to change that bulb. Then a single pull "rear" fog switch with a fabricated light tube. On the right the existing rear heater cap and long light tube (should be original). Either way enough parts to have Bob as an Uncle.

Name:  Fog Switches.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  42.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    Well, looks like the addition of the seat belt light is a change that happened during the 72MY production as I've found several examples of EARLY 72 VINs (including the The Cunningham 72S (picture Dave posted courtesy of Longballa/Wells) with the lighter in the center position like the 69-71 cars. During 72MY run appears that the switches/lighter shifted left, even on those 72 cars not sporting the seat belt warning light. Interestingly, unlike the earlier cars the later 72 dash doesn't look like it automatically had a hole for the fogs as there are multiple 72s I found with no fogs and no plugged hole like was done 69-71.
    As another data point, my '72T is almost as early as the Cunningham car, 8/71 build. The lighter is in the center spot, no seat belt warning light. But mine does have the hole in the dash for the fog light switch, even though fog lights were not listed as original. (Still no fogs today.) This picture was earlier in the reassembly, I have a plug in the hole now.

- Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Wiring

I acquired a used original harness, relay, and switch (Thanks again Dean), and I am a little confused on how to wire it up, based on how the harness came to me.

Why would the white/yellow power wire to the switch be connected to the white/green #87 normally open contact for the power to the lights? The connector on them seems like they could be original (?), so I figured I should ask before I separate them. Seems odd, or maybe I am not understanding this system correctly...

Name:  white green yellow wire.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  11.2 KB

Following this diagram white/yellow should be fused power to the switch and white/green should be power supplied to the fog lights. Note: this is not a dual switch, just a single pull.

Name:  Fog switch wiring harness.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  66.9 KB

Finally, how/where exactly should the relay ground, in my case white wire be attached to pick up ground? What is the right (factory) way to do this?

Name:  coil ground.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  21.2 KB

Thanks in advance for the help.

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    That center switch is a 356B/C switch although the usual suspects market it for 911s, too.

Name:  Dash Switch Cluster.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  60.4 KB
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

1973 911S Built Feb 1973

2 stage defrost with light pipe. Fog light with light pipe. Ciggie lighter. No light pipe on the light switch (that's what the light in the gauges is for). Brake warning light at top of oil gauge. Flashes when handbrake is up. Goes solid if brake fluid is lost I believe.

Looking at the pic I need to rotate my lighter so the smoke is rising!

Name:  SMOBdHgYTAiEGxEgUSVoPw.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  114.8 KBName:  %OqLRRG2Tpm40B5x8hdA0w.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  96.6 KB
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Thread title changed at poster's request....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter