Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: '73 Fog Light Switch

'73 Fog Light Switch

What it the correct driving light switch cap for a '73? And where can I get one?
    Nothing else in the PET seems to indicated there is anything other than these...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So called rest of world was a plain more traditional restrained look just simple but effective light in hole — no symbol — rod end had appropriate colour for auxiliary light tip. Maybe not correct tip colour for aux light but happen to have this photo what needed to illuminate those; sharing FYI

No additional symbols rubber gubbins on row even by 73
    Name:  70FF4293-E06B-4EB7-B600-730871F23857.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  62.0 KB ...
    Is yours North America spec that had IMO more messy looking stickers rubber and symbols adorning switches? In which case someone else will answer...
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-05-2020 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Awesome View Post
    What it the correct driving light switch cap for a '73? And where can I get one?
    Nothing else in the PET seems to indicated there is anything other than these...
    That’s because there wasn’t a separate switch for driving lights originally. They were wired to come on with high beams. On some cars I’ve seen a simple Bosch switch installed in the hidden dash hole just to the right of the clamshell. Wasn’t illuminated like the rest of the auxiliary dash switches. By the way, the switches are the same between US and ROW. Same knob and light rod. The US spec just have the soft rubber cover and symbol installed on the knob.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

If the OP has or is fitting a separate auxiliary light switch and wishes to have NA extra symbol in rubber rather than the arguably more elegant “less is more” ROW there appear to be several options in parts catalogue that might suffice. The ability to switch off is probably practical ...even as Michael says maybe not strictly factory correct for driving lamp.

The paper parts catalogue I have to hand shows:

Name:  0A914E17-ED69-42DA-9053-2D226D43880F.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  23.2 KB

Probably the illumination without the line makes more sense since not fog.
    Name:  BA66E265-1525-412D-BF26-E144591E3E4F.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  67.7 KB

HTH
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    Probably the illumination without the line makes more sense since not fog.
    Agreed, this would make the most sense considering the configuration I currently have (fog lights) and want to go to (driving lights)

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    That’s because there wasn’t a separate switch for driving lights originally. They were wired to come on with high beams.
    Well that makes perfect sense now. Thanks.

A little more info, and many more questions. Also going on a tangent. This is my current configuration. The car came to me with after market fog lights and switch, and I was thinking about changing to driving light hence the original question.

Name:  Dash Switch Cluster.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  60.4 KB

I would like to add a switch that looks a little more like it belongs and more period correct. Since my car has fogs I'll try to install a more appropriate fog switch.
    The PET for a '73 leads me to part# 911.613.027.00, which if you believe the forums is equivalent to part# 914.613.641.10 At least according to wiring diagram they are.
    Odd that for front fogs there is only a dual switch option and for rear its a single switch.

Name:  Dual Fog Switch.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  33.3 KB

So I procured switch 914.613.641.10 just above and would add the rubber cap that 911MRP does not like to match the rear window heat and lighter switch. Also how it appears to be in the ‘73 manual.

Name:  1349BC5E-D9DF-46E7-96BA-69FDB5875F68.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  66.7 KB

It does not have the "light tube" that is shown above by 911MRP or that is in my rear window heat switch shown here.

Name:  Rear Window Heater Switch.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  31.3 KB

In fact both switches in the PET don't show this "light tube" (what am I missing?)

So finally questions: (In general I'm trying to understand what are the right switches, fog and rear heater, for my '73 and more info on the light tube)
    Did 911.613.027.00 originally come with a light tube? And this replacement part 914.613.641.10 come with a bulb only?
    What is the PN of this mysterious light tube?
    Why does my rear window heater switch have the tube, and the PET does not?
    Anyone got an extra black unicorn rossett? Shown below
    Finally how the heck do you change the bulb on 914.613.641.10?

Name:  Unicorn Switch Rossett 1.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  52.9 KBName:  Unicorn Switch Rossett 2.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  40.5 KB
    Name:  Fog Switch bulb.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  11.7 KB
    Last edited by Dave Awesome; 06-05-2020 at 09:45 PM.

I’ve never messed with the 914 switch but, I don’t think the knob profile will accept the rubber cover intended for the 911 switches. There are a couple of early switches that are for the most part identical with the only differences being the color applied to top of the light rod and the symbol (PN applied to the complete switch). The original early fog switch (correct green tipped rod) by part number is a bit difficult to source if you’re hung up on having the switch display the exact part number. Many find the more easily found part and just change the rod tip color and change the symbol disc in the knob (if running the rubber covered). That’s what I’d do. The 914 switch is needed if wiring both front and rear fog. Two position and turn. The online PET is difficult to use sometimes because it’s updated. Doesn’t always reflect original parts.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Maybe easiest is to source a USA fog light switch to get it to look like in the Photo in manual and for time being live with the line denoting fog on the illumination symbol. I sold one of those switches recently at an auto jumble replete with rubber and symbol and the black fastener maybe someone has one for sale. Once you have that maybe a orphan illumination symbol without line will crop up (Odd small items do crop up for example I have a USA fasten seat belt rectangle “lens only” gathering dust)

Use the proper tool on the 73 fasteners as they can can look scruffy if damaged with other implements more so than the silver ones any po ham fisted tool marks can be irritatingly visible.

Interesting aside to note the owners manual shows the USA switches and European stereo LMU.. another small example of the owners book image mockups being questionable reference to authenticity... not sure all country print versions show that same image but that little observation not material as yours is USA car and your Becker.
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-07-2020 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    I don’t think the knob profile will accept the rubber cover intended for the 911 switches... Many find the more easily found part and just change the rod tip color and change the symbol disc in the knob (if running the rubber covered)..... The online PET is difficult to use sometimes because it’s updated. Doesn’t always reflect original parts.
    Michael, my suspicion as well. If it was the same fit, form, and function it would be the same PN, but in this case the PN's are different. I believe this is due to the form. Yes, I'm learning the idiosyncrasies of the PET sometimes the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    Use the proper tool on the 73 fasteners as they can can look scruffy if damaged with other implements more so than the silver ones any po ham fisted tool marks can be irritatingly visible.
    I messed a little with my existing rear window heater switch this past weekend, and have decided to find a tool as you suggest. Like a lot of things, these darn bezels are not easy to come by.

I've also noticed different locations of switch/lighter relative to the owners manual. One I believe must be right is the '72s restored by Scott (aka Longballa) photo below. Of course that doesn't jive with mine, but since mine did not come stock with the fog's who know's? I suppose there are a lot of opinions of the "right way", and I am open to hear them for a '73s.

I've sourced some parts based on the feedback, and will update with some photos once I have made some progress. Thanks for all the help.

Name:  QT2808151_QTUS3632_6205_025.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  74.5 KB
    Last edited by Dave Awesome; 06-09-2020 at 01:48 PM.

Dave, the holes in the dash are different diameters for the lighter vs switches. 69-73, the lighter is in the middle position. Rear defroster on the right and if equipped with fog lights, that switch is on the left. I didn’t think that changed Unless
    Maybe RHD?? Never noted whether the position changed on a RHD. So, I can’t explain the picture of your config. Have you removed the lighter to see if that position in the dash has been modified?
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I don't see the brake warning light in the above picture,,,,weren't they on 72 U.S. market?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.