Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking opinions on 71 911S @ 2Shores

Seeking opinions on 71 911S @ 2Shores

Seeking opinion on switching from 1973S to 1971S, can't have both so (pout ) trying to make the best decision. Any history on this car?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark Curtin
    Early S Registry #369
    Rgruppe #247

- Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

I like the 2.2 cars.
    I like the dash badge. The basket weave. The chrome bumperettes.
    The grill. The other bright work. The metal horn grills.
    I even like the backwards clutch.
    The mechanical fuel pump.
    And in general that the car is closer to the first 901.

I think the 73 had more plastic. More corporate cost savings, more smog related.
    But. They did fix a bunch with the 73.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

You are correct Arne I had a senior moment and forgot to put the link to the car in the original post.

Mark
    Mark Curtin
    Early S Registry #369
    Rgruppe #247

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post

VIN = 9111300375
    Eng# = 6310623
    Trans# = ?
    Prod# = ?

'. . . This car was repainted to original specifications in 2008. The body- and paintwork has been done to a high standard and still presents very nice today.
    The numbers matching motor is also rebuild and runs flawless. The mileage of 74500 is believed to be original with no more than 1500 miles since restoration.

The interior of the car is in appealing condition with genuine leather sport seats and hounds tooth interior with matching coco mats. Rare through the grille fog lights and Euro spec ride height
    . . .'

Attached Images Attached Images       

Effortful

Quote Originally Posted by 71six View Post
    . . . Seeking opinion on switching from 1973S to 1971S . . .
    The best way to answer your question? . . .

. . . is for you to drive a 2.2

I think what you'll notice almost immediately is a very different personality --- familiar . . . and unfamiliar

Below 3000 rpm, there's just not much torque and the 2.2 'll feel a bit breathless, disappointing. Throttle response under any load at low rpm is casual, at best. But once the revs climb to that certain point? --- >3500 rpm? . . . the character changes dramatically. The engine comes on with a low sort of bellow that to me seems totally out of character for such a small engine --- I mean, we're talking about 135 cubic inches, here . . . and that low-rpm laziness gives way to a growing sense of urgency that builds rapidly with the revs. The throttle sharpens-up a LOT --- the car shivering at even the slightest pedal movements . . . so you need to pay close attention to how you use it

The 901 (911, actually) gearbox is a chore, at first --- both when moving off, and then using underway. Compared to almost anything else --- except maybe contemporary Volkswagens . . . the lever's action feels almost weightless, unconnected, yet the actual engagement takes some particular effort --- both mental + tactile . . . to pull off

For me, the key to operating the thing is to keep the revs up --- kinda like a motorcycle. Unlike most modern street cars that are tuned to toddle along 1500-2000 rpm, the 2.2 needs to be humming along >3000 . . . the pot always just below the boiling point. As for the gearbox? --- weeeell . . . you're just gonna hafta get some practice with it. You don't just reflexively run through some heavily-sprung gate, snick-snicking gears. Even compared to a 915, you'll need to concentrate --- especially at first

Which is what makes the 2.2 special for me --- that amount of effort, the level of participation required to operate the car properly . . . like nothing else. The car is intimate and cozy to be in, lots of easy-to-read gauges, wonderful feelsome steering, excellent brakes, lah-dee-dah-dee-dah . . .

. . . but managing that engine's urgency? --- with an alien gearbox? . . . will either put you off completely . . .

. . . or utterly absorb you

For me? --- the 2.2 is what makes the Early 911 so special. It's not about power or torque or speed . . . or anything I can quantify with numbers

It's about what I have to do --- the effort required . . . just to get the frickin' thing started + running + pointed down the road --- with any kind of composure. It's thrilling . . . and utterly exhausting

If you have the chance to drive a 2.2, then I hope you'll share your impressions

I love mine to bits

Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A View Post
    I like the 2.2 cars.
    I like the dash badge. The basket weave. The chrome bumperettes.
    The grill. The other bright work. The metal horn grills.
    I even like the backwards clutch.
    The mechanical fuel pump.
    And in general that the car is closer to the first 901.

I think the 73 had more plastic. More corporate cost savings, more smog related.
    But. They did fix a bunch with the 73.
    Mechanical fuel pump??

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    The best way to answer your question? . . .

. . . is for you to drive a 2.2

I think what you'll notice almost immediately is a very different personality --- familiar . . . and unfamiliar

Below 3000 rpm, there's just not much torque and the 2.2 'll feel a bit breathless, disappointing. Throttle response under any load at low rpm is casual, at best. But once the revs climb to that certain point? --- >3500 rpm? . . . the character changes dramatically. The engine comes on with a low sort of bellow that to me seems totally out of character for such a small engine --- I mean, we're talking about 135 cubic inches, here . . . and that low-rpm laziness gives way to a growing sense of urgency that builds rapidly with the revs. The throttle sharpens-up a LOT --- the car shivering at even the slightest pedal movements . . . so you need to pay close attention to how you use it

The 901 (911, actually) gearbox is a chore, at first --- both when moving off, and then using underway. Compared to almost anything else --- except maybe contemporary Volkswagens . . . the lever's action feels almost weightless, unconnected, yet the actual engagement takes some particular effort --- both mental + tactile . . . to pull off

For me, the key to operating the thing is to keep the revs up --- kinda like a motorcycle. Unlike most modern street cars that are tuned to toddle along 1500-2000 rpm, the 2.2 needs to be humming along >3000 . . . the pot always just below the boiling point. As for the gearbox? --- weeeell . . . you're just gonna hafta get some practice with it. You don't just reflexively run through some heavily-sprung gate, snick-snicking gears. Even compared to a 915, you'll need to concentrate --- especially at first

Which is what makes the 2.2 special for me --- that amount of effort, the level of participation required to operate the car properly . . . like nothing else. The car is intimate and cozy to be in, lots of easy-to-read gauges, wonderful feelsome steering, excellent brakes, lah-dee-dah-dee-dah . . .

. . . but managing that engine's urgency? --- with an alien gearbox? . . . will either put you off completely . . .

. . . or utterly absorb you

For me? --- the 2.2 is what makes the Early 911 so special. It's not about power or torque or speed . . . or anything I can quantify with numbers

It's about what I have to do --- the effort required . . . just to get the frickin' thing started + running + pointed down the road --- with any kind of composure. It's thrilling . . . and utterly exhausting

If you have the chance to drive a 2.2, then I hope you'll share your impressions

I love mine to bits

A brilliant summary!

Quote Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
    A brilliant summary!
    Former Ghost Writer for J.Peterman

By the way, this car IS owned by a member here.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers