Thread: engine tin

engine tin

Being new to the air cooled world, I have a question.
    My 72 T is turning out to be a great daily driver (weather permitting)
    My question, is it harmful to the cooling process or any process, to drive the car w/o the left and right tin pcs?
    Obviously water will be introduced to the engine compartment, and dirt I suppose, but if I drive in dry and no dirt roads will I be harming the engine?
    Thanks in advance.

member #1515
    I think you will have reduced cooling the engine. The tin is meant to seal the engine compartment so the fan pulls cool air through the top grill. This will increase cylinder head temp.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I have the S gauges and I am cognizant of the temperature. And so far I have not been alarmed at the operating temp, that might change with warmer weather.

Curious why would you not just reinstate the tinware or source some replacement to return to spec — rather than run it without — which as stated is designed by factory to manage air flow in these air /oil cooled cars ?

No automobile manufacturer would add any component and increase the cost of production unless that component was absolutely necessary for normal operation of the vehicle.

So you bought an old 911 and using it as a daily which is good, they often aren't driven enough. As a newbie to oil-cooled cars, what caused you to consider removing the engine tin? Just curious...

Suggested reading includes oil thermostat function, with and without external coolers.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

member #1515
    Quote Originally Posted by patjolson View Post
    I have the S gauges and I am cognizant of the temperature. And so far I have not been alarmed at the operating temp, that might change with warmer weather.
    The S instrumentation does not include cylinder head temperature.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

As a youth, I had a 914 2.0. I had been doing my own work on the car. I left out one of the pieces of tin on top of the push rod tubes, under the cylinder. I think they're called deflector plates or something to that effect. After running it for a while, I burned a hole in a piston. Which then required a full rebuild. Even a cylinder head temperature sensor isnt going to tell you the temperature of every cylinder. I wouldn't run it without the tin.

Boy , have I been set straight
    I get it. As I have been doing a lot of stuff replacing oil lines, timing (valves) etc I had left the tin pcs off.
    As I said no rain no dirt I THOUGHT It would be OK . Allright tin going back before the next spirited drive.
    Thank all Bullethead, 911MRP, EJBOYD5, and RS targa.

Geez
    I should have known. This is not limey land
    Its German Land!