Thread: bench setup for synchronizing webers

bench setup for synchronizing webers

Hi,

In my search to synchronize my extra set webers 40 IDA using a bench setup, I came up with the following idea.

Using a suction adjustable vacuum cleaner and some tubing and rubber tubes I could get my carbs reading on a STE level 4 (4 kg./ hr).
    As I understood from Paul abbott’s articles this is ok for a 2.0-2.2 liter engine.

I adjusted all throttle valves such that they are very similar (4 kg/hr) already with a certain vacuum cleaner level.
    My current set of carbs (40IDTP) on my car are differeing between 4 and 5 and I cannot adjust them any closer using the auxiliary air screw.
    That is why I will try to get the 40IDA done this way to find out if I can get them close already. I know that mixture and float level has to be performaed on running engine.

In my current setup I found the influence of the auxiliary air screw is about 0.75 -1 kg/hr. Does this sound as what can be found on a healthy / good running carburetor in car setup?
    If so, I will try to make a setup for the whole carb assembly with crossbar linkage to check the 3000rpm side to side balance.

When I am a bit further, I will post more pics and learnings ;-)

Cheers,
    Bart

p.s. it is still an experimental setup and will be tidied up a bit more
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I did this years ago on my '68 912 to synch the front to rear butterflies. It got rid of a mid-range transition stumble.

I am planning to do something similar to adjust my throttle linkages for my MFI throttle bodies. I would be interested in the details of your set up.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Good thinking and Very Cool ….reminds me of my grandparents milking machine...and that's a good thing...Good Luck.../ Lars..
    Lars Wikblad...

Early 911 "S" Registry # 527
    "R" Gruppe # 314

@Tom: As said, this is just a test setup to see if I could get it work and if I could get STE-reaings that makes sense. Both is positive and also the air screw has influence on the STE-readings, Once I have some time to make the full setup and then I will post the whole story. Finally able to do something back for all good advise I had over the years ;-)

@Lars: It's all physics right!?

Will keep story alive and updatet when I find some DIY-time!

cheers,
    Bart