Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Poll: Webasto Heater Use

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    Were most early 911s equipped with this auxiliary heater? I don’t know the proportion but I’d be surprised If that were the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Most 911 through 1967 model year were equipped with Wesbasto, so possibly standard equipment.
    That was my impression as well, Dave. Standard issue for all 911s through the '67 model year and afterwards, optional.

Anyway, I'm restoring mine but as I said, living in a warm clime and having experienced the excellent manifold heater in suitable conditions, it won't be connected.

Name:  20200609_132610.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  118.3 KB
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Frere concurs with your impression — brief comment as follows:
    Attachment 525980

Wonder what proportion of all early 911 taken across the longhood early 911 lifespan of ESR —circa 65 to 73 — got these? Once it became option (not standard) circa aug 67 wonder what the uptake proportion was thereafter, overall and variances by country / region?

I don’t know.
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-12-2020 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frederik View Post
    Maybe we should start a forum section dedicated to early 911 owners who also surf. Sadly I have to content myself with the sloppy waves in Holland.

Attachment 525941
    Yes, let's do that! I'm sure many of us grew up with Porsche's and surfing. First car I bought was at 15 years old a 74 914 which got me over the hill to surf.
    72S, 72T now ST

You're making me envious! Rather than hijacking this thread even further, I started a thread in the Off-Topic section where we can continue here:
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...153595-Surfing
    Last edited by frederik; 06-13-2020 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Started new thread
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Surprised Moito has not chimed in. Lots of lore about these going up in flames but I cannot find any evidence of any reported incidents. Printed info above I believe is incorrect. Eberspcher I think was used in VWs. Webasto still exists as a company and makes heater for long haul trucks and maybe buses. Moito does first class restore.Name:  DSC00595 (1).jpg
Views: 230
Size:  136.1 KB
    Last edited by doigthom; 06-13-2020 at 05:23 AM.

Eberspächer vs Webasto appears to be a brand identification mistake that endures through various editions of Frere book —a racer journalist author who is well regarded and had good factory access. Surprised this little error not edited in later editions over decades in print however the snippet does provide an input that confirm and date the shift from aux heater as standard to option.

The difference between “toast” and “toasty” would make me nervous of using such heaters on old cars even though auxiliary heater technology used still today but in fairness I’ve never lived somewhere “properly cold”. I suspect my wife would if faced with the choice probably prefer to burn the old car for heat than to be very cold.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 06-13-2020 at 06:08 AM.

I would appreciate any data on Webasto serial #'s, both gas heaters & blowers, along with the VIN (and any other data on the car) from everyone reading this thread. PM's or emails are fine.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

There's this short thread, Dave... but there's another more concise one that's specifically Webasto serial numbers. Posted to it with a copy of my Kardex, but can't seem to find it now. Anyone know?

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...serial+numbers

It would be great if Moito weighed in, he's the wizard of these things...
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by 911MRP View Post
    The difference between “toast” and “toasty” would make me nervous of using such heaters on old cars even though auxiliary heater technology used still today but in fairness I’ve never lived somewhere “properly cold”. I suspect my wife would if faced with the choice probably prefer to burn the old car for heat than to be very cold.

Steve
    As its pretty cold over here time to time, I'm fairly used to aux heaters and they are used all the time here during winter months. Normally used more with diesels, but e.g my G-Merc have factory petrol Webasto.
    But wouldn't come to my mind to use old 911 when heater is needed (and its in warm garage anyways) + I wouldn't trust 50y+ old Webasto really either.
    - Ville -

1967 911 Slate Grey/red, fully restored + 66' "r-ish" hotrod project