Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWB steering issue

SWB steering issue

I'll start by saying I had the front suspension off to move the gas tank to run hard fuel lines through the tunnel. I've had the front suspension off 3 or 4 times without this issue.
    When I button up the front suspension and steering box the splined shaft that connects to the steering box is off so far I can barley get the bearing on as the shaft is actually pressed up against metal by the upper mounting bracket hole. If I tighten the bearing in place it puts a strong side load on it and it clicks at about dead center and also causes the shaft to pinch to one side when the steering wheel is off. I've never run into this before. When I loosen the two bolts that hold the rack to the crossbar it goes into place. I tried loosening all front suspension contacts in case there was a bind somewhere and carefully retorqued the bolts. It didn't help. When the steering wheel is not connected to the steering box both the steering wheel and the steering box move all the way in both directions smooth as silk.
    What gives? Do I need to rebuild the box, tie rod ends twisted, or?
    The shaft should be pointing up not down.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 06-15-2020 at 01:10 PM.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

I released the tie rod ends to see if they were off. It didn’t help. When the steering rack is just a little loose and pressure is on the rod to move it in the proper position you can see the whole rack wants to rotate. There are no pucks or washers between the rack and cross bar.
    I put a long bolt in the rack and wiggled it to see if there was play and couldn't feel any.
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 06-16-2020 at 09:03 AM.
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

I went home and blew this picture up and noticed a 180 degree scratch. What do you think? About the only thing left that I can think of is pull the rack and look inside. I would appreciate some feedback here.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    www.reSeeWorks.com

To me I'd say the steering rack goes where it has to when you bolt it on the crossmember. Any chance that is wrong?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

a bit of a puzzle.
    There is a "replaceable" bearing at the bottom of the rack.
    It's just under the cap.

It seems like that bearing is missing. Allowing the shaft to go out of proper angle.
    That's almost the only thing I can think of. That would make your photo like that.

Are you sure when bolting in the rack. You didn't squish a fuel line or the fuel pump wire?

Is the steering rack shaft bent from a crash?

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

I'm going to borrow a crossbar to see if mine is bent. Then a rack after that if necessary. I pray it isn't the tub.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

The crossbar is being replaced.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

What part are you calling the cross bar? Forget that

I've re read it now, you have found that your crossmember is bent?

Yes slightly bent.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

subscribed