Thread: 1970 911T Outlaw Questions

1970 911T Outlaw Questions

Link to the car
    https://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors...-59-000-a.html

Without getting too carried away...I was set on a hotrod long hood 911, but became frustrated that I couldn't find one that worked for me. This led me down the road of searching for 996TT or 996GT3. I didn't find one, and I think it's because it wasn't the car I really wanted.

In any event, a 911T popped up locally. I have spoken with the owner, he has owned the car for close to 30 years, and is as sincere as they come. It was certainly a track car, and the owner was PCA instructor. I called a few of the local shops and they all know him well and have great things to say about him.With that being said the car is no show queen.

I was able to take a look and drive the car. Initial impressions are that the car is in good shape less the track wear and tear on the paint, and more concerning, oil leak(s). The leaks are the bigger issue to me as the motor is freshly rebuilt, by the owner, and I am not sure if it should be leaking so soon. I am moving forward with a PPI, but would love any insight regarding this. There was a fair amount of oil on the ground and I was there for roughly 1.5 hours (moved the car twice and there were noticeable drips).

I have always heard these old motors "always" leak, but not sure if that is 100% accurate and/or to the extent.

Either way, I would assume a leak down test would let me know if the motor is in good shape, but as it stands I would likely want the leaking to be addressed.

Thanks
    Richard

Owner is great, chatted with him today, and he thinks the flywheel may be the leaking point. Either way he is committed to getting to the bottom of it with me, which is refreshing. I am hoping its a simple fitting or something easily repaired.

A newly rebuilt engine should not leak.

If it drips as much as you describe something needs to be corrected. Hopefully something simple

My freshly rebuilt engine started off with several oil leaks. A badly fitted gasket, a loose oil temperature sensor and an issue with the oil cooler. All easily remedied. If you can find out where the oil is coming from then hopefully they are also easily fixable. However, it could be that the crank case surfaces were not properly mated together which might need a full rebuild.

Paul

Could also be the rear seal. Sometimes they don't seat properly or a little wear on the crank mating surface will cause leaks even with a new seal.
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

What really helps is pressure washing, and after complete drying using e.g. french Chalk, or babypowder or....
    I've had some leaks after rebuild where I couldn't find the source as airstream during driving spread it to various places that didn't make sense.
    So with some cleaning and french chalk - 1 km of driving - here you go.

For applying french chalk I used pressurized air to evenly dust everything when dusting overhead stuff.

After cleaning and powdering
    Name:  IMG_5201_k.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  105.2 KB
    After test drive
    Name:  IMG_5210_k.JPG
Views: 270
Size:  126.7 KB
    After Cleaning & Powdering
    Name:  IMG_5162_k.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  111.0 KB
    After 1 kilometer
    Name:  IMG_5163_k.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  83.4 KB
    After short test drive
    Name:  IMG_5171_k.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  104.1 KB
    Last edited by uai; 06-16-2020 at 06:37 AM.

Car is heading in for a PPI tomorrow, I will report back with the results! Thanks for all of your help thus far.

Richard