Thread: title service in New Jersey

member #1515

title service in New Jersey

A friend of mine bought an 88 911 from John Wood Porsche Audi in Princeton N.J in 1989. The car was shipped to Texas and then went on to Mexico.
    He is thinking about registering in the states again but can't find the original title.
    Can anyone recommend someone who could obtain a copy? Would that still be available from the NJ DMV?
    Due to the Covid travel restrictions between US and Mexico a trip is not an option.

Thanks
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

New Jersey is one of the most a$$ backwards states I’ve experienced in terms of DMV.

You cannot send a representative for title transfers, you obviously cannot do title work online. There are no DMV authorized locations and of all the DMV facilities they don’t all do title or registrations, some only do inspections. Some only do drivers licenses and some only do driver testing. It’s nuts.

Wish I could help. And in these covid times the offices have additional restrictions in terms of the services they are providing currently.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Where in the States is he planning on registering the car? Depending where the car is going, there may be solutions. In Texas you could do a bonded title for cheap.
    Last edited by LiveFromNY; 08-22-2020 at 02:19 PM.

Kinda strange. When did it go to Texas and then to Mexico. Never registered in another state or country after NJ. How did he drive it on public roads. If licensed elsewhere, can't he bootstrap that into a title. Arkansas or Georgia and Maine were always good for the services that create titles. Might go that route.

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicles/titlenew.htm

member #1515
    It was trucked to San Antonio in 89 then imported into Mexico where it is currently registered. He wants to register in the US but keep the Mexican plates too.
    I've done a title search and it looks like John wood did title it in NJ. The car was originally sold by a dealership in Florida and then traded in to John Wood Porsche Audi in Princeton.
    I've tried to call the NJ DMV, but no luck getting through, he just wants a copy of the title. In Texas one can request a copy, and there are title services too.
    He just doesn't want to pay import duties again as the car was originally imported to the US.
    How does the bonded title work JP?
    David

David
    i don't know the US system for import duties but here in Australia (and in the UK) we have very high import duties but they are waived if the car has been here before, especially if Australian delivered and duties and taxes had already been paid. Couldn't he get confirmation from Porsche (and the original dealer in Florida) that the car had been delivered to the USA and therefore import duties paid when new? wouldn't that allow him to re-import it duty free? I know it does here and also in the UK if originally titled there
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

My guess is that the national database used by the TX DMV won't show the importation to Mexico. If you had the car in Texas you could just tell the truth - that the title is lost - and apply for a bonded title. The last known titled state will show as NJ so you'll need a VIN inspection but not a huge deal. And super cheap for the bond as they use a crazy-low valuation for cars 25 years and older. When I did my 911E I think they'll valued it at $6k and the bond cost me $125.

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buyi...-with-no-title

member #1515
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    My guess is that the national database used by the TX DMV won't show the importation to Mexico. If you had the car in Texas you could just tell the truth - that the title is lost - and apply for a bonded title. The last known titled state will show as NJ so you'll need a VIN inspection but not a huge deal. And super cheap for the bond as they use a crazy-low valuation for cars 25 years and older. When I did my 911E I think they'll valued it at $6k and the bond cost me $125.

https://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buyi...-with-no-title
    Thanks JP, sounds like this may be the easiest option once the border opens up again.
    David

Try the DMV in Hoboken
    Serge

City of Ben Franklin and Cheesesteaks
    Instagram: Truevisionmediaworks

Early S Registry #2457
    Daisy: 1972 T with 2.7 engine and Webers
    LOOKING FOR 911 Engine # 6123044

Rowlf: 2017 Volvo S60 with Polestar Optimization

Mostro di Biscotti: 1975 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S Series 2

Veronica: 1987 Carrera coupe - curves in all the right places...SOLD