Thread: suggestions on a larger oil tank for '68 SWB with a larger potent engine installed?

suggestions on a larger oil tank for '68 SWB with a larger potent engine installed?

Hi all,

As I get further down the road on my '68 Rat build I'm thinking about oil capacity a bit. At present I have an original tank that has been slightly modified to work with a auxiliary front oil cooler (modified factory setup).

With a 2.8 twin plug engine installed I'm concerned that I may need a bit more oil capacity.

Any suggestions on swapping another tank or maybe having mine modified? I think I've read that some have used a tank out of a 964. Anyone have any thoughts or experience on that as an option? ...or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance (again)

Jay
    -Jay
    Seabrook, TX
    '68 911T project -The Rat
    '74 911 3.0 EFI Twin Plug toy
    '80 Weissach 3.2 S.S. Grocery Getter
    '70 914/6 GT vintage race car

Hi Jay, long time! What's intended purpose of the 68?
    Aaron Burnham
    Burnham Performance
    1071 Avenida Acaso ste D.
    Camarillo, Ca. 93012
    805-240-6931

[QUOTE=BURN-BROS;1063046]Hi Jay, long time! What's intended purpose of the 68?[/QUthOTE]

Hi Aaron! This is just a fun build. I'll use it for the hill country rallye and just messing around. I will likely take it to the track just to see what it is like but this will likely not be a dedicated track car or race car. ...unless it ends up just being too much fun on the track but as long as I have the 914/6 likely it will simply be a street hot rod, hill country rallye type car and truly a rat but with some really cool bits installed.

Name:  brown rat.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  166.2 KB
    -Jay
    Seabrook, TX

Jay

Some of the Sports Purpose cars used a Sporto tank which I believe is larger.
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167

Quote Originally Posted by Bantam View Post
    Jay

Some of the Sports Purpose cars used a Sporto tank which I believe is larger.
    Not true. A sporto tank just has extra fittings for the cam driven sporto pump. Later turbos use a sporto tank to supply oil to their turbo.

Regards

Jim
    PS: It would be much more efficient to just add an oil cooler with Elephant Racing lines. You increase the oil capacity and get significant reductions in operating temps.

Jim's suggestion is probably the more relevant one. You want cooling capacity, not necessarily more oil (although that doesn't hurt).There's a lot of oil volume in the lines from the engine to a fender mounted oil cooler, and a lot of volume in even something like a trombone oil cooler. The finned Elephant lines produce a lot of cooling on their own because they have good access to air flow.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Thanks all. ...car has carrera cooler and oil lines modified to work on SWB.
    -Jay
    Seabrook, TX