Thread: Researching correct 1962 license plate from Carl R. Carlsen, San Francisco

Researching correct 1962 license plate from Carl R. Carlsen, San Francisco

Wonderful group here and wanted to begin with a hat tip to the community, so much history and personal stories to dive into.

Been researching a project for a relative's '62 356B, and thought this would be a great place for understanding which plate frame would have been offered when new from the SF dealer, Carl R. Carlsen, at 1600 Van Ness back in the day.

Many thanks for thoughts on the the type/color of frame available at/near early 1962. My best guess is that the frame would have been a two-bolt pattern attached at the top, with 'SAN FRANCISCO' above 'CARL R. CARLSEN' below in contrasting white letters on dark (navy?) background. (Images attached)

One question I've come across looking at various contenders: Were the stylized fly-cut marks in the background part of the original frames when offered in 1962?

I've also found a vintage Motometer pressure gauge as part of a gift, and looking for this item as something special to add. There's still lots to learn/explore on this era and car, and again, glad to find the community here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

downdraft,

There are quite a few guys here that also have 356's and hopefully they'll chime in. You might want to pose the same question over on the 356 registry (if you haven't done so already). HTH
    Reg#2218

I bought my first Porsche at Carl Carlsen on Van Ness Ave SF. A 55 Speedster in 1964. I'll check my old photos of the car and see if I had the license plate frame.
    edit; found them, an exact match to the one with the dark blue background. I'll try to post a photo. Also you need a Messko pressure gauge.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Wow - thanks for these replies. I'm no further on my search for this frame, but been happy to connect with others so knowledgeable. I'll check out the registry, been an advendure so far. Appreciate any period photos of the Carlsen dealership on Van Ness, I believe it's a Mattress Firm today, although there's a Toyota parts/service center next door.