Thread: 1968 Sportomatic Bosch Ignition Distributor Type

1968 Sportomatic Bosch Ignition Distributor Type

Hi All,
    My car came with a vacuum distributor but with the vacuum inlet capped.

Can anyone tell me the right distributor for my car as I would have thought it would have had a purely mechanical disitributor.

I haven't tried driving at speed yet but the timing advance probably isn't right as the vacuum unit is disconnected.

Best, Richard

That distributor is the original one for your US delivered 68 911 or 911L. The car was loaded with lousy Smog equipment including a vacuum retard distributor controlled by a dashpot hooked to the throttle linkage and a smog pump made in the US, driven off a pulley attached to the left hand cam shaft. . Your distributor has a mechanical advance and the vacuum retard (not advance) does not do anything when not connected. It was put there to let the throttle slowly return to idle. Bottom line, your distributor works just like any other mechanical advance distributor.

Regards

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Breazeale; 06-19-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Jim,
    Thanks for this answer that is most helpful.

So disconnecting the vacuum retard will not affect running at speed which is good news. Are you able to confirm the Bosch part number for the 911L 68 distributor? Then I can double check it is correct.

I also noticed that the carbs had a small vacuum take-off - was this originally connected to the dashpot?

Best, RIchard

Quote Originally Posted by richardb View Post
    Jim,
    Thanks for this answer that is most helpful.

So disconnecting the vacuum retard will not affect running at speed which is good news. Are you able to confirm the Bosch part number for the 911L 68 distributor? Then I can double check it is correct.

I also noticed that the carbs had a small vacuum take-off - was this originally connected to the dashpot?

Best, RIchard
    Won't affect it at all. Just make sure that all the vacuum ports are sealed off.

Regards

Jim