Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 73/3 MFI preheater flapper contraption

member #1515
    The small outlet at the bottom of the air filter housing is a drain for oil overflow and has a small hose going down the back of the engine to a fitting
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by EsGeht View Post
    JoGo, Also if the canister is eliminated or missing, that "T" would then be capped. If I'm wrong, experts (Ed) please correct!
    If you have a ROW car then you don't have a charcoal cannister and fuel tank vapors are vented overboard behind the front bumper. And in which case the TEE behind the air filter would have the small opening plugged. IF you have a USA car you get the charcoal cannister. Tank vapors are directed to the cannister, a hose is run from the engine shroud forward to the cannister, so this hose is lightly pressurized from the cooling fan. This lightly pressurized air goes thru the charcoal cannister picking up gas fumes which then returns to the TEE on the back of the air filter housing and are now ingested by the engine.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by EsGeht View Post
    JoGo, Also if the canister is eliminated or missing, that "T" would then be capped. If I'm wrong, experts (Ed) please correct!
    Hi Esgeht,

Found a thread that handles the fuel evaporation system, and indeed you are right. The smaller left outlet of the T seems to connect with this. Mystery solved…

I think I will cap it for the time being. Only downside could be an occasional smell of gas when driving. This particular smell actually activates my old car hormones, so no problem there.

Thanks Ed, just finished reading an older thread where you already explained this. Have to check the trunk to see if there is a charcoal cannister. My car is a US car originally, but it might be removed since there is no line to be found at the back of the airfilter.

Quote Originally Posted by JoGo View Post
    Btw…: amazing to see the contraptions Porsche apparently had to come up with to pass US regulations. You could probably make a 911 run on the exhaust fumes of a Caddilac from the same era….