Thread: Factory external oil cooler components

Factory external oil cooler components

Hi all,
    So my 1973 911S was delivered without the trombone fender oil cooler (Stupid cost cutting measure me thinks!). I would like to gather the necessary components (if obtainable) and retrofit my car as it should have been in the first place. Could the knowledgeable folks on the board help me in compiling a list of what is needed and perhaps point me in the right direction as to where I might be able to acquire said components. All assistance appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark Curtin
    Early S Registry #369
    Rgruppe #247

Mark,

Porsche sells many of the parts still. Others available from Dansk via SierraMadre or Aase or Stoddard for example. That includes the thermostat (so-called regulator housing) 2 hard and 4 soft oil lines and the trombone. I bought new or NOS for the sake of originality, and if that's what you want, it will cost. It's not the most efficient cooling setup, but in 86F stop and go traffic, my 212 hp 1973 S never crosses 200F. So it seems fine under mild loads. Racing at that same temp will likely be a different story. To mount the trombone and oil lines you will need weld nuts at the right spots in the body and some brackets (still available from Porsche). Rivnuts would work too, but aren't authentic.

You can also ditch the two fender mounted soft lines and bolt in a 74- trombone. These are dirt cheap. I have one that is pressure tested if you are interested. Not original, but I did it to save money originally, and have only just got around to replacing with the OEM Porsche parts.

Here's a handy list of part numbers. http://www.einmaligparts.com/Engine-...0_c_10808.html

If you want more efficient cooling, Elephant Racing has a nice builder tool that will give you plenty of tried and true options. You can get the hardlines from them with ribbed externals for example, which are said to improve the cooling since the hardlines work like a radiator. The Porsche trombone is more or less a oil reservoir and place for the oil to do a U-turn after travelling in the hard lines.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Ravi,
    Ideally I want to make it as close to original as possible. Guess I just need to ascertain which parts from the einmaligparts illustration are required. Since you've managed to collect the needed additional parts for your car could you point out which parts I need to locate and purchase?

Mark
    Mark Curtin
    Early S Registry #369
    Rgruppe #247

Mark I have just gone through the identical project on my '73 S , most of my lines and therm got away during a move of parts during purchase..
    I got the long lines from MS road and Race he has another set or two since these are the same lines for a '73 RS ,
    I got the thermostat fresh NOS from Sunset around $550 a guy 911hunt has this here and on Pelican $100 more .
    I am waiting for a new reproduction trombone from DCautomotive they say it has yet to ship but soon .
    I believe my tank is solid but getting ready to have refinished so we'll see ..
    I think the long lines may be purchased at the dealer also they are selling classic parts now...
    Good luck with your project , Bert

That’s easy then. You will need everything except items 1-6in that diagram. Just start punching in the part numbers into Google and find the best prices. Only one piece is NLA (the triangular bracket #13 that mounts the thermostat regulator, but Aase sells a new or repro version of it). Other pieces can be found new from Porsche, new from others like Stoddard/Dansk (e.g. the trombone) or used. I bought the trombone from Porsche. It is a work of art and my dealer’s prices are better than any of our regular internet sources.
    The whole project will set you back at least US$3500.
    I also got my long lines from MS Road and Race. They were NLA new at the time, but are available now at your friendly neighbourhood dealer.
    I’d put the parts list together and shop it around. For a bulk order like that, you should get some discount, even at a dealer.
    Hardest part is locating the places to put the mounting clamps. I can’t remember if the rocker panel ones for the hardlines were there or not, but the trombone ones definitely weren’t.
    Ravi
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 07-03-2020 at 11:04 AM.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK