Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rear ride height adjustment

I love the Dakar Rally Car analogy. My 911 is currently at approx 25.5 front at 24 rear, ground to lip. It was set by Johnsons Alignment in Torrence quite a few years ago, when I said I wanted the Euro height. If I recall, there are spacers in the top of the front shocks that need to be removed to make everything work correctly when lowering the car.

When I got the car, a 1973, it was only 15 years old. The rear actually sat a little low. But I didn't realize it. I thought that is what 911s looked like. But it had this terrible trait of the steering getting lighter as I went faster over 70 mph, to where over 100 was actually a bit unnerving. So it was a super pleasant surprise when after the Johnson alignment that lifted the rear relative to the front, the car was stable as a rock no matter how fast I went.

So, I'm sure they set it with more precise calculations than the ground to fender measurement. And I'm not completely sure if mine is the same side to side. I was just giving that measurement as an approximation.

One of my pet peeves are 911s that look like stink beetles to me - with the rear obviously too high relative to the front. I never understand that.

Forward rake-

I have had the understanding for a while that a good setup is 1/2 tank of fuel, with 3/8" to 1/2" front down rake measured at the center door sill.

(This assumes car is correctly aligned, level l to r, tires to correct inflation, spare tire in place, no driver weight unless for track setup).

BTW, If you haven't ever driven a 911 that squats in the rear and drives nose-up, don't. Terrifying and the faster you go the more convincing it is that simply there is something very wrong with that car.

And contrastingly a 911 that is right: properly set-up, can be absolutely incredible vehicle to drive, as well all know. The slight forward inclination is critical in my opinion. It facilitates the reduction of air screaming under the front, air rushing over the hood contributes in keeping the car working on its front suspension and tire contact patches. It's the balance. When it is correct .... wow.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709