Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dash mounted volume knob?

dash mounted volume knob?

According to the C of A, my 71 S came with a dashboard mounted volume control knob.
    I assume it looks like the other knobs, but who sells this hard-to-find item? Is this a rare option?
    Any help is appreciated!
    Jay
    1946 Willys Army Jeep
    1956 356A Cab
    1957 356A Speedster
    1959 Austin-Healey Sprite
    1962 356B Notchback
    1969 911T 'Speedster'
    1971 911S
    1974 Ford Ranchero
    1986 911 Carrera Cab
    1993 Audi V8Q
    2001 Mazda Miata 'Daughters Car'
    2008 Audi S6
    2018 Panamera 4S 'Wife's Car'

Never heard of such a thing. But, considering the accuracy of many COA's, my guess is it may not exist at all.

If you are referring to the radio volume then Blaupunkt and Becker had a fader knob which was intended to adjust the volume balance front to rear in a two or three speaker or four setup used at that time. Fader features the radio makers full catalogues as an accessory. I have several in storage the knob and might sell one if it is what you need. Knob itself was changeable to match the ones used on the dash architecture of marque and model installation kit that supplemented the basic radio box. I don’t know for sure but unlikely Porsche had something unique to them for adjusting radio volume of stereo so seems logical they used Blaupunkt or Becker stock item and adapted the item to meet that customer special wish. Never heard of it as option before. Is there an option no for that on COA? What is the original radio and is it stereo? Using it to adjust volume on mono when the volume itself is also on the radio in dash seems redundant (although probably could be configured if the customer had some mobility special need requiring different placement. Is there evidence in or around dash of additional hole for shaft through or mounting evidence under dash to support the COA?

See discussion in this thread. https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ocations/page5

(In addition to faders and hundreds of knobs I’ve also got most of those period Blaupunkt speakers in links posts #45 /49 some as singles or some as stereo pair just gathering dust. Don’t normally sell but might if OP needs to recreate the setup similar shown in diagram in link. Think the standard dash plus one central rear shelf accessory speaker or the front with two rear accessory box speakers like post #44 was sometimes used with fader in early days of when fitting stereo in 911. I don’t have the shelf however.)

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ocations/page5 Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 07-07-2020 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Add link

Very informative, guys. I will check the C of A tonight and see what the option number is.
    As suggested, it could be a fader. But, I have only one set of wires coming from the radio to the knob and one set going from the knob to the speaker.
    I agree--it does seem redundant.
    Thanks Much!
    Jay
    1946 Willys Army Jeep
    1956 356A Cab
    1957 356A Speedster
    1962 356B Notchback
    1969 911T 'Speedster'
    1971 911S
    1974 Ford Ranchero
    1986 911 Carrera Cab
    1993 Audi V8Q
    2008 Audi S6

Hi Jay

Curious where was the (now missing) knob located based on the evidence of wiring that exists ? A hole through dash or some other location eg screwed under. I do have most catalogues for blaupunkt an iirc there are several variations of fader. Some had a little enclosure to attach to a suitable surface and others went through drilled hole in dash iirc. Also the type wiring and connectors changed in colour and style, your extant wiring might be a clue to if it is longhood era or a later do over. If COA says stereo radio then I’d wager it is a front rear set up with fader; if mono it seems a bit odd.

It was fairly early days of stereo in car and things seem strange by today’s integrated approach. For example I have a 1973 magazine test review of top of range stereo Bamberg (its not in 911). For test they used a three speaker setup with fader in a normal saloon car with four or five full seats. So even by 73 when stereo was becoming more common they used a three speaker setup the author commented was the one recommended by Blaupunkt — something that now seems a bit of an odd configuration.

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 07-07-2020 at 10:17 AM.

The knob was lost during restoration, but it was cracked, anyway.
    Clearly, I mis-remembered what the C of A states. It actually says 'Loud Speaker and Noise Suppression', but no option number is given.
    I really think you guys are correct......this is a fader for front and rear speakers, but there are no rear speakers.
    Here's a pic of where the knob would go and as I recall, it matched the other knobs and had a plain black center. Name:  sdash.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  67.2 KB
    Thanks!
    Jay
    1946 Willys Army Jeep
    1956 356A Cab
    1957 356A Speedster
    1962 356B Notchback
    1969 911T 'Speedster'
    1971 911S
    1974 Ford Ranchero
    1986 911 Carrera Cab
    1993 Audi V8Q
    2008 Audi S6

Photograph showing the cigar/cigarette lighter symbol in the shape of a Zippo cigarette lighter is the first I've ever seen like that. Usually the symbol takes the form of a cigarette with a flame at one end. How common is the flip top lighter symbol and what years was it used? May I assume that it was a post-1973 item?

I agree--The cigarette lighter is not the correct one. But, it is slightly better than the hole in the dash without the lighter.
    Jay
    1946 Willys Army Jeep
    1956 356A Cab
    1957 356A Speedster
    1962 356B Notchback
    1969 911T 'Speedster'
    1971 911S
    1974 Ford Ranchero
    1986 911 Carrera Cab
    1993 Audi V8Q
    2008 Audi S6

Quote Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
    May I assume that it was a post-1973 item?
    so it is....

A simple volume control to adjust the standard mono dash there would make no sense to me but maybe convenient for a fader. The faders I have seen got a suitable knob from Blaupunkt to match the rubber one on radio (or some Becker had a speaker symbol with arrows); not seen knob on fader to match the Porsche dash knobs. The typical Blaupunkt rubber knobs wouldn’t crack unless you mean the plastic reverse where it pushes on to the fader shaft?

Are you sure the hole didn’t have another Porsche switch for option (like fog lamps Etc) , rather than fader ?

Steve